B-25 Alpha build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Texman, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

Here are the beginnings of an alpha build, rescaled down to 1/144, of the
    B-25 designed by Will, for Ryan Short.

Attached Files:

2. Texman

Texman Guest

Fuselage, tail, and inner wing panels

Attached Files:

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

What's the original scale?
    I understand that it will be one of the Doolittle riders?
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

It's 1/48 originally. This is a rough first go around so a lot of the detail that will make the final version isn't here yet. And yes it's of the Doolittle Raiders modified B-25B.
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The B-25 is one of my favorite aircraft ever...

I will be drooling, I mean watching this thread closely....
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Looking forward to Your Work!

This ia a plane model I would love to have!

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Here's a full scale start..........

Attached Files:

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Now here's a plane for which there are shamefully few available models; sure there are a few out there, but you know me, I always want more!:grin:

I am looking forward to this build by you, Ray...I know even without the "details" it will be an awesome build!

9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

That's looking quite nice!

10. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Coming along great so far! I sure would like to have one in 1/48 scale :twisted:
    By the way, a 1:1 scale one flew over this afternoon, probably on her way back to Chino.

11. Texman

Texman Guest

And today's iteration. The bumps, bulges, and uglies are all my fault. The tolerances on this are really tight. The slightest miscalculation on my part (read this as my connecting strips were too thick) gave some bulging at the formers. But all lines up well. Should be a beauty when it becomes available.

Attached Files:

12. Texman

Texman Guest

Attached Files:

13. Texman

Texman Guest

Attached Files:

14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks nice Ray. I can help you with the paper thickness issue if you like. Do you know how thick the paper is that you use? I can scale it for you and trim the formers if you like. Right now it's not a big deal. Hopefully the engines will be on their way tonight along with the rest of the nose and the vertical tails. Might have to wait awhile longer for the wings and landing gear.
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Dang this is tiny! It'd drive me completely nuts! I can what Will has wrought here, and how it looks in such small scale.

16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

She's a beauty now, Ray! A marvelous tiny marvel in the making, once again!

Now put some wings on that thing, will you?:grin:

17. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks all.

@ Will, do you intend for the formers to cut on or inside the line? I use regular printer paper for my joining strips, and I cut the formers pretty much right on the line. I think, had I cut them just inside, probably would have
    been fine. As I dry fitted the formers without strips first, it looked like there
    was going to be enough clearance. Almost positive cutting inside the lines
    would suffice.

18. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

Wow :) Very nice build. I should say, that it is very very clean for such scale. It is difficult to make those seams nice, but you did it :) Interesting, who's making you to build in such scales? For myself, I haven't build anything, except 1/33 in my life (maybe a tank in 1/25) :)
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The way I make the formers is I lay the formers out and then use the offset command to trim 2 paper thicknesses off (I use .01" as my paper thickness) so a circle would lose .04" off the diameter and if you built the model in the scale it was designed in that would necessitate cutting the formers right on the lines.
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Will......................... second build for me.............yes we have no bananas today!

This is NOT Ray's really tiny magnificiant 1/144, but my hack build of the full scale bird

Attached Files: