AXM Shuttle Payloads

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by paulhbell, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mvink

mvink Member

I know what you mean. I showed my last, greatest accomplishment to my wife who promptly stated, "And where are you going to put that thing?" Ah well, that's why I have shelves in my garage.

Model on, dudes,

2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I now have all space rated orbiters with a payload.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Alfonso has made a fine job of designing the payloads, not to difficult, but with good detail's.

As for getting bored of building payload bays, no, I am actually building other models and with other 'things' going on as well.

I don't actually have any problems building the payloads, what I don't like doing is the nose of each orbiter. The best looking nose is the very first one I built, STS-1.

As for which is next, I think STS-50 or STS-90. I like both of these payloads, they both have the spacelab with them.

On to the photos.

Photo 1, orbiter with 'deployed' sats.

Photo 2, with deployed solar panel and sats.

Photo 3, complete payload bay and payloads.

Photo 4, another group photo.

Attached Files:

3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Just a quick update. I have finished STS-50. I went to get the camera and the batteries are dead. Bit hard to get batteries at 5.00 pm on a Sunday. I'll try and get a photo posted later tonight.

I need to know if it's possible to change the thread heading, it is obviously not a new project now. If any mod's and any admin could change the heading to AXM shuttle payloads, without anything going missing, that would be great.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

As promised, photos of STS-50 finished.

I now have seven done, with about 125/130 to go. Seven payloads are about 10 inch / 250 mm wide. I am going for rows of 10 orbiters for now, that would make each row 14 inch / 355 mm.

I am also starting to build the station as I go along now, photos to come of that build.

Next payload to build is STS-98, I have already built the mars centre version of this mission, so it will be interesting to compare them.

Attached Files:

5. George B

George B Senior Member

They're breading like rabbits! :mrgreen:

That's going to look great when complete.:thumb::thumb:

6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Done :thumb:

Congrats also on some very impressive builds. I've always wanted to build one of these shuttles, but to take on the whole collection? Awesome!
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Number 8.

It's been a bit longer than I hoped, but I haven't built much this week, Had other things to do.

So STS-98 is done, Atlantis and Destiny. Still no problems with the payloads or shuttle body and finally cracked the nose, or at least I think so.

The only small problem I had this time was that I had changed all my ink carts and the black is not as dark, it is just visible in the group photo.

On to photos.

1st photo, Atlantis herself with Destiny.

2nd photo, is a 'show off' photo, to compare the Fortezza shuttle payload and AXM shuttle payload. I built the bigger STS-98 a while ago and it's showing it's age a bit. It's been around the block a bit though, my niece took it to school for a space project her class was doing, so grubby little fingers got hold of it.

3rd photo, is the group photo, again.

As for which is next, I'm not sure. But I think I will finish the ISS modules I have part built and assemble it, then on to a RTF mission, not sure which though.

Attached Files:

8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Not an update, really.

Ok. Just a quick post to say that, I'm going to take a few weeks off this project, well I say a few weeks, but I will probably build before then. The thread isn't getting as much interest as I thought it would anyway, so break time.

I going to beta build skips transformer car in the mean time.

Back in a couple of weeks.

P.S. A pic of how the station is coming together. This is using seperate parts to the payload models I have built.

Attached Files:

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

AXM Space Shuttle Payload Project

Hi Paul,

I am amazed by this undertaking. Moreover, I am impressed with your planning and determination.

It must be really interesting to have the whole array of shuttle payloads lined up and to be able to see what went up and when. It will also be very obvious how many shuttle transports it has taken before 2010 to almost complete the International Space Station.

Here´s a suggestion: you could perhaps put a little name plate (on a small arm extension?) at the rear wall of each payload bay, with names of the shuttle orbiters, cargo loads and launch dates?
    That would be really educational for those seeing your completed display, who don´t have the full knowledge of the shuttle missions. It might also serve you as a means of keeping track of all your payloads, especially when you are nearing all 130 of them . . .

Best of luck with your continued project - I will follow this thread with great interest.

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :thumb:

The cargo bay of the ill-fated orbiter 'Columbia', with the 'Spacehab':

10. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hey Paul,

Nice builds here buddy. I've only not posted here because I don't know anything about real space or the different launches and shuttles. Because of that I can only say, "Nice builds buddy, very clean. Keep up the good work."
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I know people who made an airfleet, a navy fleet, but never a shuttle fleet...! I'm more than impressed!!
  12. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

This is so Cool!!!!! I agree with Bengt - these should be labeled somehow.. This may be a "Local school" or library historical display...

Way too much information, details and history here!! :D :D :D
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

I am following your build with great interest, as this is something the other residents of my home will never allow me to do. :)
  14. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks for the comments guys.

Projects not dead, just taking a break while I'm building skips camero. It's going to take years to finish anyway.

The thread has got more hits (per day) in the last day, than the other days since it's started. And I've not made any other payloads. Funny ain't it.
  15. mvink

mvink Member

Well, Paul, that's because you scared us. We don't want you giving up due to a perceived lack of response to your thread. Most of us just lurk in the background or we just quickly read and admire the work of most posters here without answering due to a lack of time in our busy lives. When someone of your talent and skill threatens to stop posting due to the lack of replies, we all get nervous.

You may notice that my post count is low itself. That's due to the fact that I have three kids, two in Boy Scouts (one made Eagle), two in baseball, one in softball, one driving (so I'm working on THREE vehicles (mine, the wifes, and his)). The only free time to devote to paper modeling is between the hours of 10PM and 1AM in my 27 hour day.:cry: In that time, I get to browse the internet, work on my models or wake up the wife.:twisted:

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that your project is EXCELLENT and don't let us slackers goad you into thinking, "Why am I even doing this" because you know the answer to that.

Keep 'em flying.

16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

27 hour day. I wish I had that many hours a day. The biggest thing thats holding me up with builds at the moment is my garden. With the weather being so good at the moment, I'm trying to make the most of it. Trying to get the shed/summer house finished, so I can move all my modeling into there for the summer.

Sorry I didn't mean to scare anyone, just thought it was funny the way things work out.
  17. aaronlam

aaronlam Member

I can't imagine shuttle can be made in such a way. Impress me very much!!
  18. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! On picture of the week buddy! Nice one! ::D :D
  19. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Congratulations, Paul.
    It's a great honor for me seeing my payload models as the "Picture of the Week" for the second time.
    Gerardo (milenio3) was the first one to make my Shuttle Challenger as Picture of the Week last year, and now you. Thank you very much.
    Hope this will help as an incentive for others to start building my payload bay models.
    Keep up the great work.

20. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Well done Paul, it's a well deserved honour !!