AXM Shuttle Payloads

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by paulhbell, Mar 2, 2008.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

After seeing the shuttles and launch platforms being built on the forum, I have decided to start my own build using AXM's shuttle payloads. I have downloaded all the free payloads and I have just downloaded the 'paid for' payloads. Eventually I hope to have all the payloads built, hopefully Alfonso will finish all the payloads so I can complete the project.

The plan is to build the payload bays and the payloads, but not the orbiters. I have not got the room for 130'ish orbiters. I will then display then side by side.

This will be a long running project and I will still be building other models while doing this.

I had thought about doing this a while ago and I PM'ed Alfonso about it, but I didn't have time for building then. TOO many other builds going on at that time.

Wish me luck.
  2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Here's WISHING you LUCK. My best to you.
  3. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Impressive Payload project!!:eek:
    Looking forward to the build threads:thumb::thumb:

4. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi Paul,

Oh, this is great. I am looking forward to seeing this project taking off.
    In my case, I have built all the orbiters with empty payload bays, so every time I build one payload I use the corresponding orbiter in order to take photos of the model. It is nice seeing all these payloads sitting side by side. Well, I estimate 2 years to complete all the payloads.
    We're going to be BUSY!!

5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

yipe... with an expected 133 launches once the shuttles say bye-bye, this will be a long build :-D
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

1 down, 132 to go

STS-1 finished. I might change the way I make the display, I am thinking of adding the crew compartment to each model. This way I can see which orbiter launched which payload.

STS-1 was an easy one to build and went together well. I am building STS-107 next, it's got more items in the payload bay. The spacehab module is in the STS-1 photo.

Forgot to add, I will add better photos when I get some batteries for my camera.

Attached Files:

7. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Paul :thumb::thumb:
    I thought I was adventurous by wanting to build all the Delta 7 Mercury & Gemini Capsules........:cry:
    This is one GIANT project.I cannot wait till you get a few more builds under your belt and you post a few photo's of the payloads all lined up:twisted:

8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

STS-1 finished, STS-107 nearly finished and started on STS-6.

As you can see I am now adding the crew module for each payload and the payload bay box. I was only going to build the payload bays, but the payload bay box and cabin make the model's stronger.

From the second photo, you can get an idea how I want to display the missions. I was going to glue each model together in order of launch, but I may change the plan in the future and add the rest of the orbiter for each mission. Although this would take up a lot of room and a lot of room I aint got.

When I have finished '107', I will carry on with STS-6 and start on one of the paypal kits.

Attached Files:

9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

3 down

Another update. 3 done, 130 to go (maybe more?).

I finished STS-6, first photo.

2nd photo, group shot, STS-1, STS-6 AND STS-107.

Next up, STS-88, Endeavour and unity module. Then STS-122, Atlantis and Columbus module. I will be building the ISS as I go along as well. There are 2 modules included in each mission package, payload bay version and ISS version.

After those are built I want to build a Discovery mission, then will I have all space rated orbiters.

Attached Files:

10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Another one finished. My first AXM build with the robot arm. Good tip from Alfonso about using cotton buds for the arm, just the right diameter.

I normally use scissors for my paper/card modeling, but I thought I would give exacto blades a go for the docking system support. The cut outs on the support do look cleaner than when using scissors.

Photo 1 is Endeavour with the Unity node, STS-88.

Photo 2 is a group pic. The display is starting to come together.

Next up is Atlantis and the Columbus module, STS-122.

Attached Files:

11. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

They are nice looking models Paul. It will be a most impressive display when finished !!
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks Mark. The only problem I have at the moment is my Bissy is taking up all my shelf room. I am putting them away and taking them out only to take photos. I need to get the summer house finished so I can have more room.
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Been a while, but another one done.

STS-120 1st photo

Group 2nd photo.

First time I've built the OBSS, small parts. Comes out ok though.

I want to build a Discovery payload next, not sure which one though. It's a choice between STS-41D and STS-120.

Attached Files:

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

wow! those are looking pretty awesome! Should make a nice little diorama for each :)
  15. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Looks great with just five together:thumb::thumb:
  16. gpw

gpw Member

Wow, this looks fantastic :thumb::thumb::thumb:.
    I am really impressed.

17. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

You have to propose your collection to the NASA, thus the Agency can expose it, between the other models showing her achievements.

Very astounding :eek::eek::eek:

18. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Looking good, but are you getting sick of folding shuttle cargo bays!!!!:mrgreen:
  19. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ohh my God thats out of Control...well done

John John
  20. Pretty nice I miust say. It seems the only people who really appreciate what we do is those of us who do it. I showed a model I am working on of the JU-52. The engines are very detailed as is the cockpit. I showed it to her and she said "Very nice honey" and walked away. Go figure.. That is why we have forums. it is the only pace we get respect.

Model on my friends