AXM International Space Station

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, Feb 12, 2008.

1. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Well I do know that on the NASA website, the entire truss section from one end to the other will be 361 feet long. but I have no idea how long the from front to back it is. I know for a fact that the station has reached it's final length of livable space. But I couldn't tell ya how long (from Harmony to ATV) it is.
  2. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

:eek:That's going to need some major reinforcement hamr
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

You said it my friend :D
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

so many posts... so little time!!! AAAAAAA!!!

But Lucas, they are right, you have done an amazing job with those modules... I just hope mine turns out at most as good as yours... :-D

sir Paul, thanks for posting a size comparison of the Revell ISS to sir Alfonso's offering...

but like you said, the revell kit is off on some dimensions, I'm not sure about the whole station, but from some model reviews, its definitely obvious that their ATV is inaccurate in dimensions... still they made it (probably) based on early computer renditions of the ISS, with most of the modules still sitting at the SSPF, Tsukuba, Baikonur, Italy, etc.

maybe I'll just build the revell kit OOB and have sir Alfonso's 1/144 kit and the combi AXM/MARSCenter/Ton Noteboom (ATV) 1/100 model beside it...

that would be fun!!! :twisted:

for the trusses, I think plastic would be in a bit of a trouble in this, because, with the weight of the material, sagging would be a factor...

but for us card modelers, I think that won't matter much... since card is obviously lighter and has equal (or sometimes better) stiffness as to plastic, sagging won't be a problem, especially if the structure is of course, a truss :-D
  5. gregmclaren

gregmclaren gregmclaren

6. Hans Christian

Wow!!! And it came from NASA's site!!! I didn't noticed that!!! Thanks sir!!! :-D

Allright!!! I would really like to see what he did with his ITS!!! He said earlier to me that its going well, and looking from his models, it will be super!!! bounce7

edit: sir, can you post the webpage from which these manuals are linked? they have very detailed drawings on those components... (yup your'e right sir, these manuals blew many of my references away... :-D)

7. gregmclaren

gregmclaren gregmclaren

8. Hans Christian

Ah I see... still, those links were very valuable!!!
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Exactly, That is my plan for this great piece. I have already made the Marscenter model, and I am adding Ton's ATV and :inw: Sir Alfonso's other modules and Truss. I can't wait...:D
  10. Hans Christian

Right now I'm just waiting for the SSRMS, so that I can now install it (temporarily... yes, now I know how to make that robot arm "re-movable"... I just figured it out when I was assembling a Soyuz TMA spacecraft :twisted:) on the US Lab PDGF

11. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

hmmm....Sir Hans, could you please explain. I wanna know so much :D How did you figure this out just by building a Soyuz? and how did you make it 're-movable'? (lol and is that the same as 'removable'?)
  12. Hans Christian

Well, my solution is actually very simple... pins...

here's how I did it with the Soyuz...

I poked 6 holes into the docking ring (these holes are where the docking hooks are printed in the part)... then before installing the docking ring into the model, I placed it against the docking ring of Zarya and Zvezda (with all of the docking hooks aligned). There I drilled holes on places where I can see the holes I made on the docking ring of Soyuz.

Then I installed the docking ring on the orbital module, and super glued 6 identical length, small diameter wire.

The resulting assembly allows the Soyuz model to dock with Zarya and/or Zvezda without the need to glue it on... The wires glued on the docking ring of the spacecraft will go to the holes I made on the docking adapter of the modules. The fit is very tight and snug, so it won't allow the model to hang or fall off from the ISS.

I also applied this method on the P-6 truss, but instead of wire, I used toothpicks... :-D (hey now that I think about it, I actually have done this method already... I just didn't noticed it... haha!!!)

I think it will also work with the robot arm, and since it will be lighter, the method will be more effective (in my theory at least)... :-D

I'll be posting pics of the ISS model I'm working on here soon (finally!!!), and right after, I'll start working on Progress M, which will receive the same modifications I did with Soyuz (I'll also apply this to the ATV and the European Robotic Arm)

13. gregmclaren

gregmclaren gregmclaren

14. Hans Christian

Thanks sir Greg for the great news!!!

And a BIG congratulations for sir Alfonso!!! This is a milestone!!!

And now here's the picture!!! :twisted:

sir Alfonso now brings the STS-100 payload online!!!

Lucas, I told you sir Alfonso has something great up in his sleeve!!! :-D

(now I can also add the DSCU box that I left out during my assembly... :-D)

P.S. sir Alfonso, besides the Spacelab Pallet that contained the robot arm, is the final role of the Lab Cradle Assembly would be the center attachment point for the S-0 truss? :-D
  15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hmm Sir Hans, I gues you were right. Well I guess like they say, Patience is a Virtue..or something like that.
    Now Sir Hans, if I may ask, what is a DSCU box? I am afraid I haven't heard about this part of the station. :(
    Also, incase those of you who don't know and want to take advantage of the oppurtunity, the NASA hompage has a link where you can ask a question to Expedition 17 FE Greg Chamitoff and it may get answered. Check it out!!!
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The DSCU box's are direct current switching units. The power received from each array is fed through the DCSU boxes. They control power distrubition and power protection/issolation for the ISS.
  17. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thank you for explaining Paul :D it included in the kit?
  18. Hans Christian

Hehe!!! 'told ya'!!! :-D

The DCSU was flown on STS-100, so yeah it is included in the kit (check the pic above, its the box on the right side, just after the Shuttle docking adapter :-D).

In sir Alfonso's 1/100 ISS files, the DCSU was already present in the pages, so I left that one in my hobby knife case so that I won't loose it when I add it together with the SSRMS and the US Lab UHF antenna...

I'll check the NASA homepage for Greg Chamitoff's ask & answer page... looks interesting... thanks!!! :-D
  19. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Sir Hans, good luck with the question to Greg. Hope it comes up answered.
  20. Hans Christian

I sure hope so... :-D