awsome gravel structure

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Was in Saugus, MA today and shot a number of pictures of the old ROWE stone and gravel plant. Awsome structure just screeming to be scratch built.

Bill P.:)

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 187

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
They would not let me go into the yard to take shots behind the structure. I did suceed in getting some shots of the back, but they are not formated for e-mail. Found a city road that wound up a hill behind it, I had to do a little tresspassing but did get an idea of what the back looked like. Another shot of the front.

Attachments

• mvc-018s.jpg
    mvc-018s.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 180

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
. . . . and were you planning to model the gargantuan amount of phone and power wires as well ??? Man, what a mess that is

( sorry it's the first thing that struck me, maybe something to do with working for a telecom for 10+ years)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to build a whole new module if I want to model that building!

Thanks for the photos.
Pete

Mike,
You're not alone, the tangle of wire was the first thing I saw also.
Pete

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
That's a great looking old building, Bill! I wonder what it was like when it was teaming with activity... Do you have any history on the place?

I need to build a mine here in the near future. Thanks for posting these photos! I'm going to use them for designing parts of my structure.

-Rory

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Rory,
Only have hearsay on the structure. Young girl in the office told me it is probably over 90 years old. My step-son sees the conveyer going regularly, they still load small trucks with 3/4" sized gravel under the left side of the tower. I heard that they are planning to tear it down, that I did verify with the girl in the office. The quarry behind the structures is very active with modern equipment. I saw heavy trucks going in and out all the time I was there. My step-son lives in the vicinity and he hears blasting frequently. Was going to see if I can get some history on it, has to be something listed with the local historical society. Rory let me know if you want more pictures. Most of them are too big to post and I would have to duplicate and mail you the floppies. Only wished I could get more pictures, especially closeups, on the rear of the stuctures.
By the way Rory your member status?????????

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I'm looking at several similar structures to get ideas and inspiration for creating a mining complex. I think I've gotten what I need from the excellent pictures that you've already posted. I need to sit down one evening and start sketching something out. This is probably a good time to do so because I can't get at my layout until Saturday. The polyurethane has to dry on the new bedroom floor, and the layout is stored in the bathroom on the other side of the room...I can only look at it longingly...

I'm surprised that its still in operation. It looks abandoned! I guess, though, they make what use they can of it.

I was wondering when someone would notice my member status! :) I went into my user control panel the other day to put in my new signature line and found the field for changing what appears in the member status line. You can apparently change it to say anything. And I figured since I'm not really a "senior," that a "Not So Senior Member" might be a more accurate description. Maybe one day, when I grow up, I'll get to be a REAL senior member! :):):)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bill,

Thats a great looking structure, and one that I personally like to make.
Make me an offer, and I will scratchbuild it for you, could make that easy from the photo's you have supplied. (N or H0)
Any offers.?

Shamus

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I thought it was abandoned also,But what a structure. Probrobly post and beam too.

Unlike Mike and Pete the first thing I saw was all the stairs. I pity the poor guy who had to make all them stingers.

Shamus,

would you be using the premade stingers or cutting them out yourself?:) :D :)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Of course, board-by-board! If the people who made the original FULL SCALE building could build it board-by-board, then certainly I can do it in N-scale!

Not really!!!

No, I was thinking of trying out the cereal box technique...

OLDGATORBOB

Apr 22, 2002
GREENVILLE,SC
Visit site
photos

at one time i was into this big time, i had my own darkroom and the works. they are very good shots you did.

i did tabletops at the time, i did one of an old building like that what i did was take a torch and did a wood burniing on it. this building would look great done that way. and then just clear seal it.

iwe will have see who builds it 1st...........

robert.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thank you Robert on my novice picture taking ability. Shamus, tempting but will have to pass. No room at the present and if I do build another modular layout I will have this structure in mind and would like to give it a go myself. Rory and Woodie, plank by plank and not with sheet stock. (ya sure, dream on Bill!) Hey just glad you guys enjoyed the pics.

Bill P.

:D