Awesome photos

pdt

Second photo down on the 3rd page shows the locomotive derailed. My guess is that's an unavoidable consequence of modeling as close to scale as possible. P:87 is probably too tight a standard set for me, but it is beautiful to look at.

Gary Pfeil

Hadn't noticed that. I wouldn't try the P87 myself. As I've put rolling stock on the layout I've replaced wheelsets once already! And while swapping out rolling stock wheelsets only requires cash, loco wheelsets are another matter. To my knowledge there aren't many commercially available replacement wheel/axle sets for locos. I'm not that good mechanically to mess with that. However, the details that have been made for P87 are mostly useable for track laid to the usual standard. I plan to use some of them on my next addition.

Gavin171

saw this layout back in England awhile ago now, nice to see its got its own web site dont think ive got the skills for p 87 but great for insperation one of the best layouts i've ever scene, have a look its worth it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That is excellent work! I'm going to use the Phillips Mine and Mill Supply as a model fo what my steel mill could look like. Something to shoot for. Fantastic trackwork!
Ralph

CharlesH.

I saw the link earlier and that is one truly great looking layout. The trackwork is masterful, the grassy scenery looks so... lush, and the town scenes really make it look like it was 1947 or thereabouts. Great job.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
WOW!!!!!
What everyone else has said, and then some! :thumb: :thumb:
There is, however, a lesson to be learned here. I'll get the cliche out of the way first; "the camera never lies". The more perfect you try to make everything, the more perfect you have to make it. With the beautiful trackwork, buildings, weathering,signs, and detail, the coupler pins stand out like a sore thumb.
A friend of mine used color slides, projected on a screen to detect imperfections in scale, color, detail, and fit and finish. He found, after correcting the "problems" in the first set of photos, that new problems became noticible. He would usually do at least three sets of photos before he was done.
Understanding that magnetic couplers need their pins to work properly, there was no choice but to leave the pins in place. I guess that's just one of the " what ifs" that has to be part of the planning process.
Yeah.........I really should be able to do as well, and not pick, but it is in picking, mostly kept in private, that I learn.
Pete

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I was just going through a stack of 2003 Model Railroader Magazines and i found the Proto:87. It is in the May 2003 issue and it is titled The Pennsy in Britain. It really gives you alot of information. Again this is a very nice layout :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

brakie

That is indeed a great looking layout. :thumb:
Yes,P87 does have tight tolerances much more then I am willing to go. :D I do admire those that model P87. :thumb: :D

RailRon

An outstanding example of excellen craftsmanship! And also the photographic work is astounding!

While I wouldn't go to such extremes in precision modelling, there are always lots of details visible on the photographs, which help to push our detailing attemps a little bit further. :thumb: :D

Thanks for the link, Gary! :wave:

Ron