Avia BH-5 / 1:33 / Modelik

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
I could start posting something here, too :)

800px-Avia_BH-5.jpg

Starting build of a Czech recon / training plane from 1923. In its time it flew from Prague to Bruxelles with one landing in between :)

This model is actually of a working replica built with original engine in 2007. Pages of the builders are here: http://www.historicflight.cz/

First of all, let´s build a cockpit - framework and pilot seats. I don´t think anything of this will be visible once the body is completed, so why not take some photos :)

The parts for the framework:

And building from the bottom up. I used some steel wires, some guitar strings, some rubber line and a lot of gel cyanoacrylate glue :)

Putting the seats in, thus hiding the foot controls :)

And finished for now - the safety belts and some instruments on the rear seat are in place:

Next time - the instrument panels.

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
All right, here goes...

Micromanipulation with instrument panels (some macrophotography included :)). The instruments are cut through (some using syringe needle), the lower panel is glued over with glossy transparent tape to look like glass.

And there they are, in their places. Note that the front seat is for a passenger. He has a much simpler life :)

And that is the last time anyone has seen the cockpits :mrgreen: The work on the body begins with the inner lining.

The gap on the top is just there. I did dry-fit the outer shell already and it sits well, more or less. Nothing that could not be hidden with a little paintwork :eek:ops:

And here it is, what I feared the most - the outer skin. Now we will see how precise was the work on the framework. I am still afraid. Very afraid. But I started from the top behind the pilot to have the axis right and fitted the sides by the cockpit. These are fairly flat and clear where what belongs. According to the holes for wing struts everything is where it is supposed to be.

I am a bit kidding with the cockpits. They are quite visible, even through such small holes. That was 7 or 8 evenings well spent :cool:

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
Finally, some progress to show :)

The inner structure of the wings was a sort of escape from the dealing with the outer skin of the plane. The skin did not fit quite well, my fault. I saw it coming... So I needed some butchering with cardboard to let the steam off :twisted:

Finally, the rear part got fitted. I had to cut off about 2 mm at the end and move the holes for steering lines accordingly.

The upper part is already covered:

Wings have their covers, too.

[/quote]

And Boska (comes from the marking L-BOSA (or nowadays OK-BOS), means "barefoot") got her (bare) feet. Or sort of... :mrgreen:
And the cockpit area is nearly complete, too ;)

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
Slowly moving towards finish (which is far, far away yet :))

Last batch of small formers for the ailerons, elevator and rudder:

The hinges on the elevator (do you see them in the picture above (47c, 48d)?) are looking almost functional (they are not, though :))

And everything what I have right now put together (and supported anyhow). I like to play with the models :)

Coming soon - The Engine! (back to micro-scale:eek:)

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
All right, to the engine. How many parts can one squeeze in one square centimeter? Lets try :)

The base is rather simple, a few tubes put together, a piece of wire here and there, no big deal (rather small one, really ;))

The cylinders - there are four versions, this one is supposed to be closest to original. (the others are - plain paper tubes, paper tubes lined with wire to make the "ribs" and one made of fewer, but thicker ribs). The tool from drinking straw came to my mind when I had already two cylinders made. It makes the cylinder easier to handle and easier to put together straight.

Yup, it looks like an engine, already. Or like a starfish :D But there is more work ahead yet...

Oh yeah, about the parts... Now this is something about 240 pieces. More to come. :eek:

Z

Zathros

Oh would I loved to have flown that plane! Your model is beautiful. The cockpit stood on it's own! All together, it is a beauty.

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
Some of the wires, which will be installed on the engine.

Valve controls:

Some more paper bits - exhausts, carburetor (so tiny:eek:)

And everything put together. This could be another model on its own, even in a bigger scale :)

And, finally...
...ready for takeoff!

:wave:

Uyraell

Mar 23, 2011
NZ
Congraultations.:)
A very beautiful build extremely well illustrated.
You have produced a very fine model, exquisitely detailed.

Genial and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.