Avia B538

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Oct 29, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Hi All

This does not mean I think I can build aircraft. It still needs the tail wheel and exhaust stacks and a new set of struts for the ones that are damaged.

A couple of points which I missed the gun troughs (the grey lines) need to be dished before forming the forward fuselage otherwise the machine guns have nowhere to go.

I built the wheels up from layers of card disks until they matched the thickness of the treads in the kit and sanded the edges then coloured them with watercolour. The wheels slot on to the undercarriage for a very positive fit.

The lower wings have come out with a definate anhedral unfortunately but there you go, you can't win them all.

2. barry

barry Active Member

Thought I ought to finish this little plane as best I could, it really needed someone better than me to do it real justice. It looks fine as a standoff model and I enjoyed building it. I might well have a go at building the snow camo one in the future.

I jammed a cocktail stick into the propellor to line it up and add some strength I keep dropping the poor old thing so it needs it. If you decide to build the alternative open cockpit version there is a strange addition the gun troughs that I could not work out how to fold to achieve the pattern set in the instructions.

A tip for what it's worth the upper wing struts take all the weight of the flat upper wing so fix those first and adjust the outer ones later and the next time I fabricate a canopy I will glue a thin strip of thin paper on the inside bottom edge to help it stick to the fuselage and use some tacky stuff to hold it in place overnight.

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

From what I see, Barry, you did an excellent job, and your clearly did do this design real justice!

She came out great. So great she want's to fly out of your hands at every chance, it seems. :lol:

Any chance of a few more photos, mate?

I was looking at the snow camo my self. :wink:

4. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Jim

Well you requested it

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Barry

This build is that bad it should go straight into the competition as it stands a good chance of winning :D

A dam good build and quick to, well worth watching you do this :D
    I look forward to your next post of the snow camo effect :roll:

Keep at it mate

6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wow, thanks Barry! :D

I agree with Rob, you really should include this in the competition, she's a beaut!

Great job, mate!

7. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Barry!
    I think you just proved you can build aircraft, ... at the same time as you're building a ship,... and in the dark!

Great looking model, and nice pictures