Autumn on the Rails

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Since brakie did a summer retrospective I thought I'd continue the theme. Enjoy!

NS6792DeltaOH9-19-06.jpg

An eastbound Norfolk Southern stack train blasts past Worthington Steel's switcher near Delta, Ohio on September 19th. There is a third track that allows for interplant moves between Worthington and neighboring North Star / BHP Steel.

YardFullBlissfieldMI9-20-06.jpg

The Adrian & Blissfield's equipment rests between runs in Blissfield on September 20th. This southern Michigan shortline operates freight and dinner train service on a former New York Central line.

NS9407OakHarborOH10-7-06.jpg

A westbound brings 'em on through Oak Harbor on October 7th. Oak Harbor is -- you guessed it -- two-hundred-sixty-six miles from Buffalo on Norfolk Southern's former Conrail "Chicago Line." The elevated line is the original NS route through town, the Toledo District.

CSX7832SignalDeshlerOH10-21-06.jpg

A southbound K185 hustles taconite pellets through Deshler on October 21st. This train normally rates a pair of CSX's AC44s so some variety was welcomed on this day.

NS5090FostoriaOH10-25-06.jpg

"What do you mean air conditioning is optional?" A westbound Norfolk Southern freight cruises through Fostoria on September 25th. The train over the former C&O diamond and is about to hit the former B&O diamond.

INER1601VerticalEdonOH10-29-06.jpg

Indiana Northeastern's 1601 shoves emptys into the siding in Edon for loading later in the week. This former Wabash line makes up the bottom of the INER's Z-shaped system.

~Brian

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Excellent photography Brian. I'd appreciate some photo details, ie. type of camera,etc.

You obviously know your stuff. Would certainly not classify you as an amateur. Exposures are perfect!

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen!

Allan: It's not about the camera. Any photographer worth his salt should be able to make a photo with any equipment. That said, I shoot a Nikon N80 and FE with MD-12 motor drive and seven Nikon lenses. I use primarily Fuji Provia 100F and occasionally Provia 400F or Astia 100F if the situation warrants it. All my shots were scanned with a Konica-Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV and processed with Photoshop Elements 2.0. Good enough? :D

Larry: The Adrian & Blissfield has four total ex-New Hampshire Northcoast units. I don't know the numbers of them all but I can dig through my slides or make a call if I have to.