autorack yard

jsoflo

Feb 16, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Does anyone have a good track plan for an autorack unloading yard? Love to see what you have as I am now planning to add one and am having trouble finding a plan

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I can't think of a 'net reference offhand but I do know that the general layout includes a fair amount of space for the vehicles. It may be something like paired tracks with a lot of parking lot around them.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Lordstown, Ohio

at Lordstown ohio (GM) it is a 5 track double ended yard off of a long siding (left to right). A wye is attached to the right end of the yard. The top of the wye has a long track (up) with a trailing point switch (right hand) that goes down into a 3 track stub ended unloading area next to a HUGE parking lot. Sorry no pics, maybe someone can post a schematic of what I said. A wye is a must, as these cars need unloaded in a certain direction.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Here's a shot.

Newark, NJ- Oak Island Yard, next to it- an intermodal and next to that an autorack unloading facility. Look up Newark, NJ on Google using their map program with the satellite feature- amazing things you can find.

oakisland.jpg

You can zoom in and count cars if you want.

Mark

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here's a satillite shot of one that's a few miles from my house. The main line is to the south of the yard and parallel to the highway. There's normally a string of empty aurtorack cars running close to a mile on the siding tracks. I don't know when this picture was taken, but there's usually a lot more cars in the yard and usually a bunch of auto carriers off to the bottom right. I only see a couple in this shot. In the center of the yard you can see two yellow off-loading ramps.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
70Runner said:

I just said, outloud, " ... daaaayaaaammmmmmm ... "

That's a really cool picture. Interesting to note that the loading ramp is not a permanent fixture, but a rolling ramp that can even be placed on top of the rails. I also find it odd that they apparently only have two ramps? But four lanes of track with the cars devided into two groups? Shouldn't they have six more ramps? Maybe it's just a function of how many drivers they have available. It would also seem to make sense to have the ramp at the end of the rail line be a permanent fixture so they don't waste time moving the ramp around.

Scrolling around from that link I've found a double tracked loop around some little pool, southwest of the original link. Any idea what's going on there?

Just above that loop is a very long 'fish hook' curve that does not close a loop. I find that odd.

Southeast (mostly east) from the original link is another autorack loading area with the same mobile ramps and multiple lanes. Really strange - I would have thought giant concrete ramps with hinged bridges to the cars would make more sense.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Scrolling around (Portland, Oregon) from that link I've found a double tracked loop around some little pool, southwest of the original link. Any idea what's going on there?

Just above that loop is a very long 'fish hook' curve that does not close a loop. I find that odd.

This is really a most interesting area. Go still farther South and there is another nest of track loops.
I believe that the upper two are mostly some loading/unloading facilities for something which comes/goes by ship - but WHAT? :confused:
In the loops farther South I think there is a quarry and a big junk yard. Anybody among us who had something to do with air reconaissance?

Anyway, this area could be the theme for an article in the 'A Railroad you can model' series in MODEL RAILROADER. :D

Ron

jsoflo

Feb 16, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for the responses, very informative. We have an enormous autorack loading and unloading facility here in Miami for the FEC, but its so huge there is no way to model it on a home layout, I was looking to see what existed in the realm of smaller loading facilities, lots of great ideas, thanks!

foamerjoe

Apr 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, CA
I work as a conductor at a UPRR Auto facility in Mira Loma CA. Our main spotting area consists of 8 stub tracks which are broken into B and A pads. The B pad of each track holds five regular autoracks. The A pad holds 7 autoracks. There is a one car lengh gap between B and A pads to allow the movement of ramps to unload the cars. When you have BTTX's or what is called articulated autoracks, then less cars will fit on the pads.
The cars are spotted from west to east, and several of the stub tracks have room on the east end, after a one car cap to spot cars in the dirt. This area is called the "off-spot." Some tracks, specifically tracks 7 and 8 have room for five cars in the "off-spot."
North of the spotting area are the support tracks. Here we have 9 through tracks that run east to west. The inbound trains shove the cars in from the west. We have loads on typicially 3-5 tracks. We pull the loads from the east to spot in what we call the "south yard " that I previously described.
We have two crossovers at the east end of the support tracks. Both crossovers give us access to the 'north yard," which consists of four through tracks. Track 1 is a rip track which holds 17-23 cars. Tracks 2-4 are used for support, empties, and sometimes we spot loads on these tracks. When loads are spotted the tracks are broken up into in to 3 pads. All pads into the auto facilty are in asphalt, only the "off-spots" are on the ballast. The three pads in the north yard from west to east are A(holding 6), B( holds five), and C which holds 7 cars. Each pad is separated by one car length, except between B and A which are two car lengths.
Also, at the south end of the support tracks are two more rip tracks that hold 7 cars a piece. A contrete block wall separates the support tracks from the south potting yard. A complete concrete block wall surrounds the entire facillity.
The mainline is across a major 4 lane road. The mainline is double tracked with a parallel siding on the southiside. After an inbound train enters this siding, it then shoves the cars across a bridge over the road into the west end of the autoplant. Only one way in and out of the plant.
As previously mentioned there is plenty of room to park the cars and the truck transporters. Builing wise there is on small office in the south yard. On the southwest corner of the massive facility is one concrete tilt up wall building that houses the offices for all the companies that work here.
I hope that helps. I should also add that no tracks are straight except the tracks in the south yard. Both the supports tracks and the north yard have sweeping curves to accomodate more track in less area.

foamerjoe

Apr 18, 2008
Moreno Valley, CA
Yes, they are unloaded from the end using movable ramps. The cars are loaded with the cars either all facing east or west. The autoracks are bilevels or trilevels. The bis or tris all facing the same direction must be grouped together. Commonly, with 5 cars on a pad, we might have the first two west facers, then the third spot would be called back-to-back since spots 3 through 5 would have east facing cars.