Automatic Switches for a Newbie

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by KMAC, Feb 21, 2005.

1. KMAC

KMAC New Member

Hi, I am really new at this so I have a question about Switches. I have installed track in my boys room and in my girls room. Two ovals that connect. I want the switches in each room to auto switch. IE, make a loop in the boys room come back around go into the girls room and do the same. The way I see it is when the train gets to a certain point in the track it tells the turn to switch. I think that is simple enough. I had seen it done this week at the National train show in Portland with an O gauge trolly.
  2. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi and welcome to the Gauge. :wave: If you do a search for reverse loops here you will find a lot of information, maybe more than you want. :D There are a lot of very talented folks here.
  3. KMAC

KMAC New Member

Thanks, I will do that search. Hey, I noticed that you are some where in the middle of Oregon. I am out of Rainier OR. Thats cool. :thumb:
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

what size trains are you thinking of? Lionel (and probably other toy trains) have automatic switches and don't need any attention to directional controls. Standard 2-rail trains would need some sort of relays to get the direction set right.
  5. KMAC

KMAC New Member

Yes, that is correct, O gauge Lionel. I have the Santa Fe Super Frieght w/ railsounds. I will have to look up the auto switches from Lionel. What exactly should I look for, just Auto turnouts for Lionel?

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I think all the Lionel remote turnouts are non-derailing -- they turn when the train reaches them.
    One problem -- they don't exist for Fastrack yet, only the old style O and O-27.