autocad to corel draw

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willja67, Apr 30, 2005.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Will, good luck with the course. I don't know if it will qualify you for the student discount, but if it does, you get the full monty, no cripples or limited functions. Rhino has always had a policy of supporting students. It makes good business sense, as students grow up to be commercial users!

OK, so we had better sort out the autoCAD export for you! Which release of AutoCAD do you use? You might be able to limit the problems by saving in previous version formats. Also, the various parameters for saving, ie polylines or splines, etc, might need playing with to get a working solution. Also, try to make sure there are no duplicate lines, as when these arrive in Coreldraw you might have to multiple curves and nodes all stacked on top of each other. Messy.....

Tim P
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Hey Tim,

I have r13 of autocad. There are some polylines but not that many. But the one problem that I am sure does exist is lines stacked on top of each other. Unfortunately my method of drawing is that I get the outline I need and sometimes I find I need the length of the perimeter and the only way to find that out that I know of is to draw a polyline overtop the existing lines and curves and ask autocad how long the polyline is. So I guess I'm going to have to go through and clean all that out. That'll be a chore and a half. There are 9000 plus objects thus far in the drawing.

I still have my 5 view drawing in the file and a lot of stuff that will be unnecessary once it's out of acad. Would it be better to get rid of that before importing it into Corel Draw? Also would it be better to break the file up into individual pages before moving them to C.D.? That way there are far fewer objects to deal with per file.

So what file format do you want my sample in? If I don't hear otherwise I'll send it as a DXF. It probably won't get there for another day or two though(I don't have my own comp right now).

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I don't know autoCAD, but I would imagine there is some form of layering capability. I usually put construction lines on one layer, outlines on another, etc etc. Then I can select just the layers I want to make up the file for export. Also, I tend to run files through Rhino first, it has a great 'select duplicate items' command which is brilliant for stripping out this surplus stuff.

Hey, I am probably trying to teach granny to suck eggs here! dxf file would be fine, but if you can export in other formats (dwg, ai, etc) we could try those as well.

Speak soon,

Tim P
  4. Vector illustrators (Corel, Adobe..) are fairly 3D dumb. Only feed them 2D CAD output. I break my layout (an array of pages+borders with parts positioned and ready) into individual files containing one-page each, centered on 0,0 with all "non-final product" elements entirely removed.
    AutoCAD (2000) uses "Elevation" in 2D (layout mode/paperspace) for stack-up, Layers segregate elements into groups for filtering (on/off, lock, freeze, color, linetype).

There was one PDF file I encountered that had simple model parts, but nearly a megabyte filesize. Problem: curves all broken into tiny line segements, and element duplication stacked around 30 deep. Cause: OHS
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

What is OHS?

Thanks for clearing up how set up stuff ie parts in final position on page etc.

I've sent wunwinglow a small sample (I hope it got to him) and we'll see what he can make of the mess I call a corsair.
  6. O.H.S.

Operator Head Space :lol:

:idea: A uniform border for conversion is important, it assures the parts line-up with the page as designed and maintain scale between pages when imported in CorelDraw.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

8. Using your flag as a weapon, must make your country proud. Risking a national symbol in a BrandWar.
    So, anything above 2Kb is failure ^_^

Well I made it, that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.
    Hmm, this thing doesn't have much heft, not much to boast about.
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ofergoodnessakes!!!!! I see the message just before I go to work, come in this evening all excited and ready to graphic, and SOMEONE has splatted their post.

Rot your socks, Maurice, you spoilsport!

Tim P

PS Details of the original pdf in the image below are:-
    A4 sheet.
    Background: 270 X185 mm, RGB - 216:216:191
    Flag: 180 X 90 mm Blue - RGB - 0:0 :102
    Red - RGB - 204:0:0
    File size: "x" KB

The competition is to find the smallest pdf file size in which this image can be replicated. Thanks, Masamune.

PPS , 3kb. Geometric layout in Rhino 3, export lines in ai format to Coreldraw 11, colour in, publish to pdf. Like I said, 3kb.
  10. Maurice

Maurice Member

Yeah well, the answer is 1.10 KB using TurboCad and and a printer emulator as opposed to your 2.28 KB.

Whether you'd have got less sticking to the same size for the background I don't know.

11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Nya nya nyanya nya, Mines smaller than yours...

Are we not both pathetic?

Tim P
  12. Maurice

Maurice Member

I'm beginning to wonder if it's still safe around here. :roll:
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I think all you guys are nuts. Guess that's why I like it so much here.

Now that Wunwinglow has had a week with my sample I'm itching see it. But I'll try and be patient.
  14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Will, I imported the dxf data into Coreldraw 11 without any problems. Importing into Rhino revealed about a dozen or so duplicate lines, which might have caused a problem if you box-selected them and joined them without realising they were there.

I'll do some screen grabs, but what would be your prefered next step for this image?

Speak this evening, gotta go to work now!

Tim P
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I guess I'm just really ignorant about what can be done or something along those lines. I guess I would like you to paint the pieces and just make a list of problems that had to be overcome and ways you found of achieving the desired results.

You might have noticed the dotted lines running parallel to the panel lines, those are supposed to be rivets and my intention was to make them either white or a very light grey as well as the panel lines. If you felt like spending the time it would be nice to see what a finished piece would look like. I really appreciate the time you've put into this.

I'll say again that I'm a real novice and any advice or suggestions are welcome. So if you have a better idea than what I've suggested go ahead and say so.

Also I'm going to be getting Rhino soon so maybe the best thing to do would be to just wait till I get it and transfer my model over and use it to sort out the bugs like duplicated lines and so forth.

Anyway thanks again.
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wahooo! The man's getting Rhino! Another convert! I oughta be on commission from McNeel!

Seriously Will, I'll do a couple of panels and screen-grab them as I go through the process. I might even dig out the Sukhoi Su 7 files and do a bit more on that model. That has exactly the same work flow as your Corsair, even if the fuselage is a bit simpler.

When you get Rhino, and you put in a bit of practise, you will see how it is ideal for this sort of modelling. And a whole lot more besides.

The work flow generally runs from design to test construction before you get anywhere near painting the surfaces. It is a bit discouraging to have to re-do a whole load of camouflage blends, exhaust stains and markings when they bridge over a joint, and you have to adjust the joint in the light of a test build! Get a 'white' model together first!

Did you get the other files OK?

Tim P
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yeah I got the other files. My biggest problem is that I only have intermittent internet access on my computer that has Corel Draw and therefore can't access what you sent me. Hopefully in a few weeks that problem will be rectified.

I probably should have checked my email before I wrote that last post. After I checked it I found that you had done most of what I asked so sorry for the confusion.

At this point in time I really wish I had Rhino awhile ago cause I've had to build my model or at least major portions of it at least twenty times thus far to get the pieces to fit and I still have some more to go. I'm hoping that Rhino can design the pieces accurately so I only have to do two or three test builds first. But thank goodness the end is now in sight for the test building stage. I just have a tiny bit left on the fuselage and quite a bit more on the wings but it's coming along well(I just had to pick a plane with very complicated wings :roll: ).