autocad to corel draw

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willja67, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

After moving into a new apartment recently I'm getting organized enough to continue working on my Super Corsair project again. My question is this: In order to use corel draw's fill command do I have to have the the outside lines of the parts I want to fill be enclosed by a polyline?

And, finally; if you have lines drawn in an area that you are going to put a fill in, will the fill cover up those lines? Just to clarify that if it was hard to understand; I know that in autocad if you use hatch in an area it totally covers up anything else that was in that area and I'm wondering if the fill command in Corel Draw does the same thing? And if it does how do you get around it?

I guess the best thing if it exists would be a link to some tutorials on the subject. So as always any help would be appreciated.
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Will, welcome to the confusing and exponentially complex world of computer grahics. Far be it from me to explain about corel draw, but most programs with fill commands will just do only that, fill and object with a color. In paintshop pro and some other high end programs the fill command can be modulated to a % of fill. You adjust untill the object you are filling will cover what you want, in some programs you can adjust the opacity to see everything underneathe the filled color. In paint shop pro that is. The caveat is the object must be closed. if there is as little as a one pixil opening the fill command will spill into the entire sheet/backround. Most programs let you undo this accident, just make sure you redo it before proceeding as some programs only allow one redo! In the links section of the site are some helpful tips and links to software tutorials. Also so a web search under software tutorials and that will yield a bunch too. Good luck, Ted
  3. Yes the fill will cover up the lines*
    No the fill will not cover up the lines*

CorelDraw is a vector object handler, not a pixel handler...
    Just run the filled object down the stack until it is beneath the line objects.
    Or prepare layers for types of objects in order of stack-up (top to bottom);

1> TEXT-part labels, placard lettering, decal texts
    2> DETAIL-layer for panel lines, illustrated features and surface details
    3> PART-layer for filled part outlines
    4> TABS-for gluetabs and bottom layer objects

Or something similar.

Of course if you mean CorelPhotopaint, that is a raster (pixel) software and my pedagogic paragraph is meaningless.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You can have a fill property associated with any line object, as well as an outline property, they are independant of each other. Usually, a fill will only 'happen' when the object is a closed loop of some sort. Right'click on any object and click on properties, and depending on the version of Coreldraw you are using, you will get some form of dialogue box where you can inspect and edit these properties.

Note that the outline properties have a number of unique aspects, for example do the sit 'on top' of the fill, or 'underneath'. Fattening the outline from say 1mm to 2mm if it is in front of the fill (of the same object, remember) the outline will encroach onto the fill area. If underneath, the line will still be 2mm wide, but everything inside its centre line will disappear under the fill. In otherwords, the fill bit will look the same, but the line will widen outside the centre line. This is important to understand, as changing line thickness could change the apparent size of the part.

I'll do some screen grabs to show this if it would be useful.

Tim P

PS Coreldraw is a fantastic program. I've been using it since version 3, and it still amazes me!
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

In this view there are 4 rectangles.

A has no fill, hairline outline in black. B is the same, except it is filled with red. C is the same as B, except it has the outline width (stroke) changed to milimeters. The outline width is centred on the rectangle edge, so half the thickness of the line is outside the rectangle, half inside. As the outline is 'on top' of the fill, the red area is partially covered by the outline and so appears smaller. The overall rectangle is bigger, by half the line width, all the way around.

D is the same as C, except the outline is now 'behind' the red fill. Now, the red area is all visible, and the outline is only visible outside the fill. It is important to remember the outline width is still milimeters, even though you can't see half of it.

Full sized image at:

In this view, the fill properties of the first red rectangle are being inspected.

Full sized image at:

In this one, the outline properties of D are being inspected. Note the checked 'Outline behind fill' bottom left of the dialogue box.

Full sized image at:

Very important to remember, each of these rectangles is a single entity. The outlines, fills etc are properties of each rectangle, NOT seperate entities in their own right. Of course, if you want copies, you can easily do this.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer!

Tim P
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the info on borders and such. I'm afraid I'm not quite to the level where that info is useful :oops: .

I can draw a rectangle and use the fill command to put color in it but when it comes to what I've actually imported from autocad, corel draw doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with it. I'm always very conscientious about making sure all my borders are closed and stuff like that so I know that's not the problem.

When I use the pointer tool to select what I want to fill sometimes only one little grip box appears on the object. I would think those little boxes would appear in more places. Then I go through the same process that I use to fill a rectangle and nothing happens :evil: :!:

So I guess what I'm saying is: HELP :!:
  7. While geometrically sound (unless you have one of the quirked versions of CorelDraw), the imported ACAD elements are essentially exploded-object garbage dragging useless history with it.
    The Corel combine/link function does not operate well, especially if there are element alpha-omega issues.

The answer is really quite apparant and simple. I import ACAD DXF into CorelDraw, and isolate it to a single layer that is set to "non-print" and "locked" (this keeps it from exporting to PDF and becoming an object selection nuisance), which can also be toggled I/O for checking and finish work.
    Then... trace each and every element into the desired final-product form. In the end I have *NO* imported objects appearing in the resultant PDF file.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Willja, can you send me a sample file to check out? tim(at)

Masamunes solution is a good one, but if you have put a lot of work into the Autocad file, it is a bit of a pain to have to redraw it all over again! And, if possible, forget the hatches and fills in Autocad. If you are going to do all the colouring work in Coreldraw, or anything else, you don't need that info cluttering up the dxf file. Just export the outlines.

Tim P
  9. A quality AutoCAD-to-CorelDraw solution that works consistently in every instance, other than what I've been using for years?
    I'd like to see someone produce such an animal.
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

...or a decent set of CAD drawing tools in Coreldraw! For all it's great points, it has never had any such tools. Weird.

Tim P
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the interest everyone. Just so everyone knows I have the newest version of Corel Draw (12) and r13 autocad. Not having used any other versions of corel draw I don't know if this is a new feature but CD12 will let you open a acad dwg file right into the main drawing space.

As for hatches and the like there are only two instances (noncritical) in the entire drawing. If I had a newer release of autocad I might have tried to use the solid hatch and just pulled my hair out till it worked but instead I opted for corel draw and bought it brand new so I don't think ( I hope) there are no bugs in the software

Tim thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it. I presently don't have access to the computer with my files so it'll have to wait a day or two and you'll have to allow for the possibility that it might take me a few tries to get the stuff emailed properly. But I'll definately appreciate the help. Unless you have a preference I'll send it as a DXF file and in the mean time I'll try masamune's suggestion and put everything onto one layer in acad and then import it in as a DXF (i've used the dwg format exclusively) and see if it works.

Thanks once again.

12. Corel10 also imports the various Autodesk DWG. Transferring as DXF seems to eliminate some chaff but does not ultimately seem necessary.

There are various CorelDRAW plug-in software that supposedly add more drafting functionality, but no known capability for 3D CAD manipulation.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Member

Personally I use a vastly superior CAD programme in which it is possible to correctly locate and copy all the detail that will be obliterated by the hatching and then to paste it back on top of the hatching.
    What's on top stays on top.
    (That's exactly in line with what Tim has shown above in Corel Draw)
    See if that pathetic frAutocaddy thingy can compete. :lol:

I've junked my demo download of Corel Scratch after seeing what it did to DXF's and finding it couldn't even draw accurately. :lol:

14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Maurice I'd be interested to know the name of this vastly superior cad program. If it's affordable and if I can convert some of my acad files (there are a lot), I might just be interested. I really like acad for the most part but the problem with stuff refusing to stay on top does test my patience. Actually it totally overwhelmed it, thus the purchase of Corel Draw.

But for now the setup I've got is going to have to do, and I'm willing to put the effort in to make it work.

15. Maurice

Maurice Member

Affordability is a relative concept.
    Autocad DXF I've imported haven't done too well - only useable after a lot of work.
    As you say, stick with what you've got, but I was interested to know whether it was a problem with the Autocad programme.

16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Turbocad huh? That's interesting. I've been looking at Dr Zarkov's surfmaster and drooling a little, but since I don't have r14 or better and any copies that show up on ebay tend to go for a stiff price I was kind of wondering how well turbocad really worked and if it was something to look into. I'm still going to keep looking for a newer acad release cause I hear that it works better with surfmaster than Turbocad but you've peaked my curiosity.

Anyone else have an opinion on Turbocad?

I just got a reasonable tax return back and might get anxious to spend it soon so I want to find something good to spend it on.

17. Coke, Pepsi, Ford, Chevy, Boeing, Airbus, BigMac, Whopper, PC, Apple, Adobe, Corel...
    Of course some one has to start the tediously sophomoric BrandWar.

TurboCAD doesn't publish into PDF (the only format that has enough universal support to validate digital cardmodel designing... that means Vector, not fuzzy JPEGS inside a PDF). A secondary package is still needed to produce common-format vector output. Unless TurboCAD can export to a vector-paint software with each element precisely cross-compatible by function, it is no better off than AutoCAD, CATIA, DeltACAD or any other CAD program for this purpose. Simply another option to use.

AutoCAD is an industrial CAD design package, not essentially intended for minor production of graphical materials. Any traditional CAD software is not intended to produce a "finished product" anyway, just the drafted elements to produce the product from.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Member

No you don't have to.
    Just answer the question.
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Maurice, what exactly did Corel do to dxf files? Which version/update? Where did the dxfs come from? TurboCAD?

I tend to use Rhino for all the technical drawing I need (and 3D of course) and then export to Coreldraw in ai format, which has never given me any trouble. I had TurboCAD a long time ago, so I am not up to speed with the latest version.
    Willja, if you want to spend a bit of money, I can't recommend Rhinoceros highly enough. You can model, draw, unfold and export your designs, the import/export routines seem to be bulletproof, and it just works. is a demo available from their website. We use it at work extensively, in amongst Pro-E, I-deas, we just got VX too (another excellent tool) I can't remember the last time we used AutoCAD, although I think we have a couple of licenses available.

Tim P
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Tim I've looked at Rhin3d quite a bit and it seems like an impressive tool. If the price tag were closer to $500 US I might be more willing to get it. One of the reasons I am looking at Surfmaster is that it's not nearly so expensive. Even $500 is a lot of money and I would have to do a lot of soul searching to part with that much, let alone $900 which is what Rhino goes for.

I am going to be headed to flight school soon (I hope), and was therefore wondering if I might be able to get the student version. I was wondering if there are any limitations like limited functions or limited licenses?

I know the license on a student version of autocad expires after two years at which point you have to call up autodesk and fork over more money to get them to reactivate your copy.

But it is all a little academic at this point. My Super Corsair project is beyond the point where Any 3d modeling program would be beneficial and there is still a lot left to do so I won't be needing anything more than what I have for awhile.