Auto Reverse Units

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kerrskountry, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Hi y'all,

Anyone familiar with auto reversing units? I'm in the thought process of placing a simple straight line trolly inside my cityscape within my 6x10 double mainline . The line should be only around 3-4 feet since there will be a small yard on one side of the layout. Regardless, I'm looking for some suggestions for auto reverse units so I can run this trolly down the main drag of my city scene. I've found a unit called an ARM-5-LV and one from Peerless at Walther's. Has anyone used either of these or know of some other units? Recomendations or comments would be appreciated.

2. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi Kerrskountry, welcome to the Gauge. You'll find a lot of great help here. Reverse loops aren't that hard, especially for what you are looking at. What I would suggest is doing a Search for Reversing or Loop in the Technical section as there has been a lot of discussion on the subject there. If that doesn't help keep asking, someone will have some answers for you. :D :D
  3. theBear

theBear Member

4. jetrock

jetrock Member

Kerrskountry: One thing you might consider is a small trolley loop rather than a back/forth reversing type. Because trolleys can track on very, very tight curves, you can nudge things down to 6-8" radius (it's easy to convert the Bachmann Brill or PCC trolleys, probably the cheapest trolleys on the market, to handle such curves) which means you would need a strip 14-18" wide (and, as you mentioned, 3-4 feet long) of area (say, circling around a couple of city blocks.) This would provide a nice pleasing "around the loop" effect and wouldn't have to worry about changing trolley poles.
  5. b28_82

b28_82 Member

If you Decide to use DCC i would recommend Tonys Train Exchange's "PSREV"
  6. dhutch

dhutch Member

I use the ZTC (UK) DCC system, and then does it automaticaly, i just have a power booter (£30) the power the Reversing loop, and then the system works the rest out for its self!!

7. theBear

theBear Member

Now I may be wrong here folks but I think he is looking for a reverser circuit this isn't a reversing loop.

This is a start at one end gain speed, slow down, stop at the other end, wait a bit start back, gain speed, slow down, stop where we started from wait a bit repeat deal.
  8. dhutch

dhutch Member

ah!! - i retract my coment then!!
  9. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Yeah I retract my statement as well. Whoops. Guess i saw only what i wanted to see :oops: :D
  10. bear

bear New Member

I saw what your looking for at a swap meet 2 weeks ago. Device was made by Circuitronics(sp?) or something like that. The display was by
    Guys' name was Al Pilz (724) 238-6268. He's in Legonier Pa but there might be a distributer close to you.
    Good luck....
  11. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Thanks a lot fellow railroaders. I think I'll go with "jetrock"'s advice and figure out how to design a trolley loop inside my mainline. It could make it more interesting. As I proceed I'll l;et you know how I;m doing along with some pictures.

Thanks again,

12. jetrock

jetrock Member

I'd be happy to shower you with more advice than you could probably stomach on trolley wiring--interurben is a fount of such information too! I look forward to seeing the pictures!
  13. Red Arrow

Red Arrow New Member

Rail Logic makes reversing units. They also can make units with designated stopping points for traction modeling. Contact Paul at Lin's Junction 215-412-7711 for more info.