Authentic Logs!

Play-Doh

Somethin always bugged me about those logs on my cheapo lionell logging car...I would have just replaced them with real bits of wood, but I liked the texture and the size of the logs....but they had that shiny plastic look to them...I thought about dullcoat, but I found a better idea. I just applied some testors clear coat, dipped my brush in the little bit of cigarette ashes ive been collecting, and brushed it on in thick layers.

The results are awesome!!! It really gives them that weathered look like they have been deep in the forest!

Im well aware im not the first to use this method but I will have to say the results are great!

Ill probably do the same to weather my ties!

TJ

belg

Tj, I wonder do you show your layout to non smokers? I for one can smell a smoker from far away so if you invite folks in it might offend some. Just a thought. Pat

Play-Doh

belg said:
Tj, I wonder do you show your layout to non smokers? I for one can smell a smoker from far away so if you invite folks in it might offend some. Just a thought. Pat

Agreed. Im in the process of quitting. Theres enough people around here who smoke anyway to keep me supplied in ashes. I will be happy to post some pics soon as soon as I weather those ties. (which is #3 on my project list)

Project list

Finish ballast
Paint rail
Weather ties

Russ Bellinis

railroader9731 said:
as for your logs what about scrub trees as they are known they have a bark texture

I haven't been to the Pacific Northwest in many years, so I don't remember what plants are native to the area besides various pine trees. Do you have some bushes or brush that grows wild up there that would have bark detail? Also you might have some plants in your garden that have bark detail on shoots. You can use trimmings from the garden or trim a few branches from plants growing in the wild to make logs out of.