Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Flugzeug, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Flugzeug

Flugzeug New Member

I've just let to imagine Aurora could look like. Possibly Aurora airplane doesn't exist at all. The information vary from source to source.

Below is a first test making. I plan to move front gear slightly back to the front of the next section and gear volume completely to the next section. The frame needs to be redesigned. It's reasonable to do in a way of ship models' frame. I hope the second test making will be more successful and include engines, gears and pilot cockpit. :?:

What are your recommendations and suggestions? :yep:
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I suggest you release this model! :D Looks very nice!
  3. Paladin

Paladin Member

Looks very nice. I wondered when someone might start work on one of these!!
  4. Flugzeug

Flugzeug New Member

Thank you for interest. :)
    Today I've spent some time for changes mentioned before.
    The front gear has been moved and frame redesigned. It's a draft of frame and final work is required. :yep:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
  5. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

I been working on the aurora for two weeks now. i still need time to finsh the model. but the photo i see here are right on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

7. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

here is my aurora jet. i had it for a little bit.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attached Files:

8. Flugzeug

Flugzeug New Member

I like it. It would be interesting to build both of them. :thumb:
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Though coming at the end of your design process, here are some thoughts for your consideration.

1. Texturing the final design: At the speeds and altitudes Aurora would hypothetically operate, heat dissipation in the fuselage would be of prime concern. Currently there are three technologies available: 1. Expanding skin like the SR-71, old and inefficient from a combat radius perspective. 2. Space Shuttle heat dissipating tiles, efficient but fragile. 3. Ablative ceramic coatings like those used on reentry heat shields, very efficient but from an operational perspective, too difficult and expensive to maintain.

With that in mind, your final texture might be dead smooth with no panel lines or heavily lined.

2. Propulsion System: There is a strong possibility that Aurora is powered by either a scram-jet or what is referred to as a " pulse detonation" propulsion system. In either event, it is possible that the designers mix the exhaust gases with ambient air to lower the exhaust gas temperature to defeat IR detection. Similarly, the designers would have located the exhaust outlet on top of the fuselage like the B-2 bomber.

All theoretical stuff, but it is fun to muse!
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Well, you can't hide a scramjet or a pulse jet from IR that easily.. :D. plus there's also the atmospheric frictional heating, which essentially makes the aircraft an IR beacon anyway... So we better come up with something better than stealth >_<
  11. widget

widget Member

Shear unadulterated speed!
  12. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I'm very intrigued by this aircraft since the first time I fought it in Ace Combat 3...

some say its an actual concept, others say its already being developed at the moment, and others also say that its fictional...

anyway, this will make for a fine model!!! :-D
  13. Flugzeug

Flugzeug New Member

I think Aurora is the test facility for engines and special heat resistance surface. In a case this aircraft existed at all. I doubt concerning need for spy plane in space technology age. The usage of spy plane means political problem and could be a big risk for plane itself including crew. :)
    And I think Lex's argument concerning IR features of such aircraft is reasonable. :yep:
    I hope to have some time on coming Sunday and to materialize Auroras frame. :twisted:

Stardream Text Anthracite looks really great. :thumb: I'll try to order it later. I like it is for LaserJet and InkJet.

By the way, what is a standard card thickness for paper model frame in imperial units (for example USA) equivalent to 1mm?