Attachments and Site Speed

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Amazyah, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Howdy Y'all!
    Just in case no-one has noticed, I figured I would make an O-fficial announcement.
    The attachment issue has been corrected. You can now upload pictures directly to your post.

Now that the upgrades are completed and everyone has had a chance to peruse the site, I would also like to ask for opinions and feedback, if you please.
    I know we all have different types of connections and different systems and OS's as well as different browsers, so answers should vary widely.

Have you noticed that the site is loading faster for you?

Generally speaking, can you see any difference at all?

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

At home I am on a 3mb DSL using Firefox. The load speed there has been varying quite a bit still. I will give it a couple more days to settle down. The spiders might be busy with the database adjustments as well....

At work I am using the company line - multiple t3's backboned directly into at&t's national trunk using internet explorer. It seems good here today!
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Now you are just showing off:inw:
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

He is showing off??? :eek:

I'm on verizon FiOS 15Mb, beats the heck out of Brighthouse connection I used to have :thumb:
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you Carl! That is good to hear!

6. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

7. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

BTW, I have a script running in the background to rebuild all of the attachment thumbnails. Around 44,000 attachments total. I started the script this morning. It just passed 24,000 a short while ago. A good bit to go. Last time I tried to run that, it made the server unusable. Seems to be doing ok with the new hardware though. :)
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Peter actually answered my question while I was typing it :thumb:
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

AWESOME :) thanks peter!
  10. Frank Kelle

Frank Kelle Member

Only to notice: also here in germany the site builds up much more faster than before (DSL with mozilla firefox)! A few days I had wondered, if the bits and bytes were passed to my with snail-mail....
    Now it is working fine!
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thank you Frank! That is wonderful news!
    I am so glad, it's even faster for our friends across the big pond!

(snail mail) hehehe, that's a good one Frank!sign1

12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Well it's a bit faster over here in the UK, but still not up to what it used to be. And I have tried different computers on different ISP's (through cable and broadband) from different locations, so if the problem with speed is not from the server, every computer I have tried to log on must be faulty??

And now the ''unread post's since your last visit'' has gone. I have not altered anything in my user cp. Is this the same for everyone.

I am off work for the next 2 weeks and I am going to do a lot of building in my spare time. I was going to start some new build threads, but I am not sure now.

I have lost all my old photos from the gallery, as I stupidly did not make back up's and I am now worried about posting photo's.

I have been very patient (like others have been) about the site move, but, and I am sorry to say this, as I have friends on here, I am not sure about the site any more. I do hope everything turns out ok in the end.

I am not going to 'throw the towel in' yet though, I will give you guys more time. I am disappointed though.
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Hi Paul,

There is a 'New Posts' button near the top of the page. That should give you the unread posts. In fact it's better than it was before as it gives you new posts since the last visit, and then a list of threads which haven't been updated but contain unread posts.

The problem with attachments has been sorted out, so the files attached to posts should be back.

Unfortunately the gallery is still not back, but we haven't given up hope. Peter is still working on it.

Speed wise, I can't really comment. Here is South Korea I have seen a vast improvement in the speed, but I still have to wait a few seconds for posts to load. It seems to be about the same speed as other forums, whereas it was painfully slow before.

In a nutshell, we are getting there - I think the gallery is about the only problem now.

I hope you do post a new build thread or two - I would like to see some nice new build threads :)

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Peter has hired someone to work on the Gallery. I dont blame him. Typically a gallery on a forum is not technically part of the forum, its a plug in that links up to the forum. That greatly increases the complexity of the fix. Not only is there the problem of converting the url of each section of the gallery to the new domain he is going to have to repair all the links to the threads because they are all new url formats. That in itself is a huge undertaking. Hopefully he found a good programmer for cheap (yeah right) so to make my ramble short - he has hired it out so he is serious about getting the gallery back and integrated properly with the forum (also keep in mind it has to somehow be merged with the new image database....)

The speed..... It is slow again. Not as slow as it was but slow. There is a reason for that. I dont know if you made it on after Peter did the hardware upgrade and before he fixed attachments but performance was really good then. It has since declined and here is why (I think anyway) The way I understand it the attachments are a new flat file database (I am sure peter will correct me if I am spouting off nonsense here) The new flatfile database (maybe its just a new table) links to the existing forum database. This is an extremely large change - I think he said on the magnatude of 60,000 files. Even small database changes have large ramifications to the search engines. It will likely all get parsed out again slowing things down for a while. I imagine when the gallery comes back online it will slow down for a while again because that will be another big database change. Once the search engines have the info all figured out again it will speed back up. It will just take some time.

I hope that helps and doesnt just muddy the waters....
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks for the tip about the new posts button, I didn't see it.

Sorry but another gripe I have is the ads. I know and understand, Peter needs to make a living and pay for the site, but I don't like them. A better way to raise money for the site would be fund raisers like the one we had a while ago. Members raised a fair bit of money then and I am sure they would be prepaired to donate again, maybe at 6 month intervals.