Attaching homasote?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ron - you are a genius!!!!!! Flipped the dang thing over, glued down the homasote, and primed the top side (had already done the underside).

Gary, that's a good tip about contouring with a rasp.

Waiting for the sucker to dry, then a coat of earthy brown.

Finally, some progress!

cheers
Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Gary H Pfeil
Can't really tell from that photo, but I don't think I see anything rasped out! If you do rasp it you should repaint that area.

Gary

True Gary - you caught me! :eek: :eek:

I'm going to use spackle for little hills and what-not later, mainly because I'm not sure what structures I might want to add between the tracks.

cheers
Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Came back to read this thread because of Mike's comment in another thread, I'm not much of a hockey fan but it would seem our Devils are still in it. No Flyers around that I saw.

Gary

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Hey. that sky is brilliant. :):)

And... ummm... for a foreigner. Can someone post a closeup pic of this stuff called "homasote" everyone seems to use? I still can't get a grip on what it exactly is. We've probably got the same stuff, but call it something else.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Homaspte (TM)

Woodie:
attached is a scan of a hunk of Homasote. Best image I can get. (protected with saran wrap)
Recent article says it's made from recycled newspapers, accounting for the grey colour. I used to think it was recycled paperback books.
It's about 1/2" thick (.0125 meters) and is in papery layers. the fibres tend to come back together to hold nails and tacks.

Attachments

• homasote.jpg
    homasote.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 278

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Taa for that pic.

It still doesn't really give me a good idea of what it is. Is it the sorta stuff you would use for a pinup notice board? If so, we might call it "Caneite" (made out of rubbish sugar cane and wood chip stuff).

Oh,,and what you call "sarin wrap" (in the context of that pic) we just call "plastic". Glad Wrap is what you wrap your sandwiches in, or last nights left overs. it's a brand name too.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Here is another picture of homasote Woodie. This shows an edge. It is made as David explained. I tried using it and didn't like it so the pieces I have left are in the scrap pile. Now I just use styrofoam.

Attachments

• hom.jpg
    hom.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 203

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Robin,
Does your picture show a piece of true Homasote or is it just insulation board?
Here in the U.K. we have used a material called Sundeala for many years and I was always led to believe that it was the same as Homasote. Like Homasote (and other insulation boards)Sundeala is made from recycled newspaper. Although a little messy it is easy to cut, very dense and one face is velvety smooth.
I would love to solve this mystery once and for all as I get the impression that Homasote is often used as a generic term for many different insulation boards.
John.

Attachments

• sundeala.jpg
    sundeala.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 196

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
John:
I've heard about Sundeala for years, and never knew exactly what it was. If it comes apart in pieces of paper, the it's like Homasote (TM).
The April edition of the NMRA Bulletin has an item on Homasote (TM) and the web address www.homasote.com .
Woodie:
Saran Wrap is a brand name too.
Robin:
I'll be around to your place with a pickup truck. :D
One of the lumber dealers told me that Homasote(TM) was used as sound insulation in buildings, but the main users are Model RRers. Every time I build a layout, I have to locate a new dealer.

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Thanks Robin and David,
From your descriptions I am pretty sure that Homasote and Sundeala are basically the same material.
What still confuses me is that many modellers live in fear of Homasote getting wet when building scenery. The Homasote company actually say that it is suitable for outdoor use so why the need to seal it with paints etc. before using small amounts of water on the layout? Although Sundeala do not mention using their product outdoors I have actually tested it in the wet British climate for several weeks and surprisingly for a paper-based product it came to no harm.
Sorry to harp on about this subject but I am intrigued :D I still get the feeling that many of the people that have experienced problems with Homasote and Sundeala have actually been using one of the cheaper insulation/fibre boards.:confused:
John.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
John:
I've no experience with actually soaking Homasote, but I've been flooding it with Matte medium (not Matthyro ;) ) for the last month and not had any problems. Course, it's been screwed down and painted first. And it does make a tremendous dust when sawn unless you use a saw blade with no teeth.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Funny thing - I searched everywhere for homasote - Home Depot hadn't even heard of it. Finally found a hardware supply place - they were calling it Railroad board. I asked "Huh?" and the guy replied "that's the stuff they use for model RR's".

So there you go.

cheers
Val