Attaching cork roadbed to foam?

bellybomber3

Dec 30, 2005
1. What do you use to attach the roadbed to the foam?
2. Is it okay to glue it with elmers or is it better to use construction adhesive?
3. If you use glue, do you tack it in place while the glue dries?
Thanks,
Tom

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
bellybomber3 said:
1. What do you use to attach the roadbed to the foam?
2. Is it okay to glue it with elmers or is it better to use construction adhesive?
3. If you use glue, do you tack it in place while the glue dries?
Thanks,
Tom
I used white (Elmer's) glue and yes, I used those pins with the colored round head on them to tack it down. Some people use construction adhesive, others use hot melt glue, but both are kinda unforgiving. I used hot melt on the first half of my layout I just finished laying a bunch on the new half and because I used the white glue I could go back and make adjustments. I guess I just couldn't get everything right the first time and decided on some changes on sections that were OK to start with so I was very glad I did this the way I did. I used a razor saw to pull it back up. I guess I could have wet the roadbed to loosen the glue but the razor saw worked just fine. When I made some major changes, I wound up throwing away some of the roadbed, but for the most part, it was reusable.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
OK, Belly, here is my 2 cents worth.

1. I use LePage's White Glue, up here in Canada it is like Elmer's White Glue.
2. I have never personally tried the stronger glues, but a friend has and he said it was too hard to lift/remove the glue if you wanted to change the layout.
3. I use those push pins you get at the dollar store.

Here is a shot from last year when I was laying track. The track at the back is on wood. I used bottles of gravel to hold it down until the glue dried.

Well, I tried to attach a photo and it said I already did, in the following link:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=15251

So go there and half way down the first page you will see it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I use (used) latex caulking - works well, reasonable adjustment or fiddle time, can be painted, not effected by water-based scenery methods, and can be removed with a putty knife with minimal damage if needed.

The origin (or at least the first place I read about it) was an article you can download from MR (trains.com) that used truck topper tape in place of WS foam trackbed.

Andrew