ATSF Black River

Hey guys! Now that I'm back online (due to school finally subsiding... only two months left!), I can post updates to my 4'x7' HO layout, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Black River Subdivision, located somewhere loosely in the midwest outside Chicago in the outskirts of Black River.

Please don't shame me for making a new thread... I promise I'll keep this one alive, and it doesn't pertain to just one subject, but rather, anything to due with my layout/modelling.

And now... *trumpets* what has been done... (by this incompetant fifteen year old! ;) )

100_2130.jpg

First off, here's the latest addition to the BRS fleet, a Baldwin Locomotive Works (Stewart Hobbies) VO1000, fresh from Philly. Coated in ATSF's Zebra Stripes, this locomotive has been assigned to work the industries outside of Black River. These include the yet unnamed oil distributor, the loading dock (also unnamed), and a siding which sits empty, to be filled at a later date. This loco was from ebay, and already had LED's installed and a TCS decoder. It was definately worth it, considering I didn't have to go through the hassle of obtaining a decoder. In my favorite scheme too! (Can't you tell?!?!)

100_2133.jpg

An overall shot of the three BRS engines. For those who have never seen them, they include a Stewart VO1000, LL P2K GP7, and a Bachmann 2-8-0. All Santa Fe. In the background is a Dash 9-32BHW in Amtrak "Pepsi" for when I feel like breaking the time period and running my American Orient Express. All four locos are decoder equipped and run flawlessly.

100_2127.jpg

Here's the oil distributor close-up, with its gravel parking lot and temporary car. Only the worker on the pumps is glued... the two on the wood deck are ones I just set there to get some more people out. The car is one of those Bachmann generic 1950s with no bottom frame. Works for now, and fits my budget. I don't have many roads yet anyway. Don't worry--much more detail has yet to be added to the scene.

100_2128.jpg

Speaking of the oil distributor... here's a guy trying to take a break, even if they aren't very busy today...

100_2125.jpg

Finally, the left side of the layout is coming along. I'm still working on Black River station, and yes, it has taken me a while. Setbacks, I guess. But here is that road crossing, formed with styrene and cut to fit. It is glued down too. Shoulders (gravel) yet to be added, and ground cover around the area needs to be shaped up. A work in progress, but the road looks amazing so far.

There is so much more to show and tell! This should suffice for now, I was so anxious to show you guys all you have taught me, whether directly or indirectly through The Gauge.

Hope you like! Please post any Q's, Comments, or Concerns.

Happy Railroading! :thumb:

Atsf

Hey TW20, That is looking great. I'm 5 times your age and wish I could do as good. Looking forward to more pics.

Lynn

J&A_RR

sorry I missed this trainwiz20, looks like you are coming along just fine. I like what you have done so far. I'm coming on 33 and am at the pace you are going. Two small children will do that to ya. But my wife just reminds me that it is a hobby never to be finished really, so just keep up the good work.

cabdriver

TW20. Looking GREAT ! :wave: Glad to see your new thread. We'll look forward to watching your progress. :thumb: You've come quite a way from the first pics you posted of your track laid out on your carpeted floor. :thumb: You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Phew! Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm surprised, it was a rapid fire burst of 'em there. As always, I appreciate your comments. It helps me to feel better that I'm not doing this horribly wrong... hehehe...

LIRR - I do have this schematic I drew up very quickly, and it gives an overall jist of the layout. Some of the pictures in my older threads have full-layout shots. (It can all fit in one shot, only 4'x7'.)

Hope this works:

brsch.gif

Gotta do some corporate advertising in there too.
rolleyes.gif

As you can see, it outlines the areas of some structures too. About all that will fit! Here's where you got me beat Cabdriver... you have a whole town and everything! Just kidding... I'll always keep up with your progress and drool over it. You too, the rest of ya'll.

The station would look silly sitting by itself, so the paved asphalt road (as in the first post) tells us the city of Black River is off to the left. While the paved road ends at the depot, a gravel one continues the rest of the way to the right of the layout, ending at the church. (Connecting: Paved Road --> Oil Depot --> Loading Dock -->Undecided Spur --> Church.)

Another tidbit I'll explain is why my platforms are so big. In case you don't know, I'm a sucker for passenger trains. The first track is meant to hold the 2-3 car local, while the other along the back can hold the 6-carriage AOE. It may be a bit squeezed, but the realistic appearence of the layout makes it appear that we really aren't going in circles.. yup...

Okay, enough from me. Thanks again guys!

biggrin.gif

cabdriver

TW,
Your layout is looking great. :thumb: I appreciate your comment on ours. This is a wonderful hobby and for the first time in a long time I have found a group of folks that are interested in what we do, encourage us, teach us, and don't judge us. When you think about that, it is remarkable. :eek: :thumb: :wave: As many gaugers have said before -- it's your railroad. :D ENJOY :thumb:

Old threads die hard... and it's time to bring this one back to life.

Due to taking some time off because of laziness, live-steaming, and railfanning , :rolleyes: I'm back in the HO aspect of the hobby. I pulled out my City Station the other day and realized how close to finishing I actually was. Pics soon. I'm working on paint touchups and minor details to the depot building itself.

On top of that, I've begun to think of completing the scenery on the left side of the layout (i.e. roads, scenery, ballast) once I get the station and platforms in place.

I learned a new trick the other day with the help of the Turtle Creek Central in MR--use tracing paper for the in-between track styrene plates. (And cut 1/16" in for flangeway room) Anytime I tried to file them down to size they would look crooked, rather than evenly straight like Spitfire's crane scene. ;)

I have yet to try this out though. I need to work on that.

Just thought I should say something about getting back to work and hitting the ground running.

I'm off to mow--Talk to you all soon.

:)

Sorry for the double post (Sorry, Ralph.), but I just had to show these photos. I'm in such a good mood. :D

The Black River Station has been constructed and is being prepared to be put into service. Complete with a basic interior, the station is ready to serve the fine patrons of the wonderful town of Black River.

dscf0002small3ir.jpg

Here is the structure on my desk, where I did the project. You can see the black posterboard covering the baggage room windows. I used manilla folder clippings for window shades here. Obviously, the head porter today doesn't want us peaking in. :thumb:

dscf0003small1cx.jpg

This is a better shot of the interior of the main depot. A brick floor, via my printer, and the hunter green, wide benches provide sitting room for the passengers, and the black Lego furnace keeps them warm. The ticket booths, boasting the Santa Fe logo, are ready to open. My use of a color pencil and black construction paper. *lol* There is one HO person in here, but just to infer there are others. I had no reason to do a more detailed/complex interior considering viewing through the windows will be hard enough. Not to mention the structure won't be lighted. I just wanted something other than... well, nothing. It looks ridiculously unreal to peer through the window and see absolutely nothing. I fixed that, for sure. ;)

dscf0011small0br.jpg

These are the freight dock pieces. I painted them Floquil Concrete, then used a dark gray to give them some weathered look. You can clearly see the brush strokes, but that's the look I wanted. The frieght dock is used heavily by the ATSF customers, and there's no need for it to be rebuilt like the new depot since it doesn't see paying customers.

dscf0013small7ey.jpg

Viola! The completed Black River station. Roof and all. The curbing was touched up, and so were some of the brick areas. It looks good now.

dscf0023small9nf.jpg

Another shot of the 'Trackside' side of the station. I love the sign at the end of the platform (the 'Black River', with the two Sante Fe logo blue circles on each side.) I always loved pulling into stations and seeing the name clearly pronouncing proudly the name of the town. And, yes, there is one on the other side for synchrony. (sp?)

dscf0019small2xt.jpg

Last, but not least, a small gem I found at the Clearwater train show. This will go on the roof, but facing away from trackside, so the REAL people can see it at first glance at the layout. The backside is painted gray. If you can't imagine what I'm talking about, I'll show you when I mount it, and the station is in place.

Currently, everything is drying. I finally got it done! I'm really proud of myself. More than the oil depot--considering this was a larger project, more time and effort, interior, and has to do with passenger operations.

I'll show more pictures when I get the station in place with its platforms. (Still working on those...)

All to be added now are people, benches, and some luggage carts. Can we say LHS?! ;)

Please post your comments. I'd like to know what you think. As always.

Happy modeling!

Devon