atlas under table switch machine

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
Man these are a pain to get perfectly into place but I love the payoff.
I only have 4 in place and I need to buy 6 more (As you can see from a picture below)

under1.JPG

under2.JPG
under3.JPG

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Prodigy, I use those too. What you might want to do, elongate the holes where the mounting screws go. This will give you a little bit of adjustment to get the switch machine centered over the switch.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
no its not that, the hole isnt the size but the actual switch machine must be perfectly in the right spot, what I do is after i have it in place, i holt it up with 1 hand and move the switch manually and make sure the points on the turnout move correctly, sometimes the switch machine will be like 1/16 off left or right and the points wont go all the way therefore your trail may derail.

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
yes thats also what i did, i left the screws soiemwhat loose and able to move around a little...

richhotrain

Nov 11, 2004
Prodigy,

You are not going to want to hear this, but don't buy 6 more Atlas Switch Machines. Invest a few bucks more and buy Tortoises. They are much more forgiving even if not placed exactly. If you want to live the rest of your life pain free, take my advice. I once had a bunch of Atlas Under Table Switch Machines and I almost quit the hoby till I got rid of them and installed Tortoises.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I'll disagree with richo... I like them, like to install them and have had not trouble with them. I have 20 Atlas UTT and 10 Torts... The Torts are great, no doubt, but the Atlas work fine too.