Atlas Turntable??

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Glen Haasdyk said:
That looks really good to me. I'm rebuilding one in HO scale to look like the Malcom Furlow article. It's amazing how a little paint and detail work can make it look 100% better. I'll try to post pictures when I'm done
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Malcom Furlow article? I will be building 2 turntables (11"/80' HO) for my RR and any articles on the subject would be more than helpful.

Cheers

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Malcom Furlow article?
It's in the San Juan Central series, done in eraly 1984 Model Railroader. The entire series has since been colected in a book called 'HO Narrow Guage Railroad You Can Build' I think it is still available.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Wel the guardrails look like they would be there to keep the loco from crashign through what appears to be a wodden deck on that turntable.

Somehow I doubt that the wood would stop that diesel from falling into the put below the wood.

Great job on the turntable. I really like all the little dtails and odd bits left lying around on it.

F

Fred_M

I don't know, 1 inch pipe and 2X12's can support a lot of weight. :D :D :D LOL Looks great Jim. :thumb: Fred

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that at one time the full-deck turntable was NOT all that uncommon. Some apparently to keep the snow out (as Glen said) but also some, probably in busy engine terminals, were to keep people from falling in. I don't know whether a full deck with a gallows on top is prototypical or not --- I do think I remember seeing a photo of one --- but since the gallows was one of several ways to support the turntable, I imagine that there could have been some, particularly in the 19th century.

The Atlas TT's mechanism is so foolproof and inexpensive that I think it is well worth using as a basis for constructing a TT of any sort, whether a full-deck or a pit type (a year or so ago, either MRR or RMC had an article showing how to make a pit TT from an Atlas.) The old Atlas TT only had stops every 30 degrees, and that wasn't all that great, but the new ones have 15 degree positions, and that's not bad at all.

BillS