Atlas Trainmaster Comments?

bigdonnie

The latest issue of RMC has a very complimentary review of this new loco from Atlas.

Has anyone purchased one? Comments?

I am interesting in getting opinions on the QSI sound and how it compares to Soundtraax. My LHS feels that Soundtraax is better, but its only one opinion of course.

I am thinking of moving to DCC primarily for the sound capability, so this loco is of interest because it can run on both DC and DCC layouts.

Certainly not cheap!

Thanks

spitfire

Broadway Limited uses the QSI system and it sounds great to me. Have not actually compared it with Soundtraxx. Your LSH should let you test run one of each and then you can make your own comparisons. Do you shop at Credit Valley? Because those guys are really helpful.

Val

bigdonnie

Thanks Val. I almost always go to Credit Valley and you're absolutely right, all of the guys are very helpful. I was in a rush to go somewhere else the day I was talking to them about this new engine, but I intend to get a demo during the holidays. Do you have one of the Broadway Limited units?

Don

spitfire

Don, I have 2 of them - the J1e Hudson, painted NYC and a limited edition metal Hudson (not sure of the designation) of CN 5703 with the Vanderbilt tender. I haven't had much chance to really run them - I only have 6 ft of track, which is why I'm so intent of getting this bigger layout going.

Val

bigdonnie said:
The latest issue of RMC has a very complimentary review of this new loco from Atlas. Has anyone purchased one? Comments?

Hey, Don....

I have two of the gold series with DCC & sound in the DL&W scheme. They're fantastic. As far as the sound goes, you rally have to judge for yourself. Best to have one test run for you so you can hear 'em. Brake squeal, increasing revs as it pulls away, the whole bit. I also have a BLI steam loco, the Erie heavy mike. no, they're not inexpensive, but anything worth having will be worth paying for. You won't see this kind of quality at low pricing, especially when you compare it to what you would pay for a similar model in brass....with no dcc or sound! Well worth the investment!

Russ
:wave:

spitfire

bigdonnie said:
If you ever need an extra pair of hands to move that new layout along, just shout.

Don, I sure do!! Check your PMs - maybe we could get together over the holidays.

Val

Gary Pfeil

For what it's worth my Broadway Hudsons sound much better than my Soundtrax installs, but then my Soundtrax installs sound quality varies quite a bit, so probably has to do with my sound enclosures, or lack thereof. At any rate, QSI sound is very good, in my opinion of course.

Gary

bigdonnie

Thanks for all the helpful comments --- I will definitely give one of these a 'test drive/listen' during the holidays.

DaytonTrainDude

I have a BLI N & W Class A 2-6-6-4 that has the QSI sound and I also have the Lionel HO Veranda that has QSI. I have yet to hear anything that comes close to the quality of both of these units.

tweet469

This may be a little off topic, but does the Atlas Trainmaster feature the Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston prime mover sound. This motor had a unique sound to it. I read a Soundtrax review that said their decoder featured this unique sounding engine. I have not personally heard it. Soundtrax also is supposed to have different prime mover sounds for Alco and GE. I thought this would be a pretty cool feature especially with an Alco, EMD, FM lashup running full out on a steep grade.

brakie

Suffice it to say when Atlas had a sound clip of the TM I was the first one to guess it was a FM unit..I worked with the PRR TMs and one will never forget that deep throated sound of a oppose piston locomotive. :D Now for my guess I received a C&O GP38.Thank You Atlas. :thumb:
Now I use Sound Traxx P&P DSDLL110LC DCC/Sound decoder..These sound like a GP7/9/18. The DSDAT100LC DCC/Sound decoder for my Atlas RS1s..These sound like a Alco but a little on the generic side.

Mike Desira

I'm a newbee here, and I was delighted to hear an english loco start up, and chug along. Sound-equipped locos are now on my shopping list. The atlas unit apparently even replies with the cv addresses and their values during programming.

I only hope that my loco will not one day say "programming-is-futile. Changing-CV's-is-irrelevant. You-will-be-assimilated !!!!! "

Live long and prosper dudes!!!!