Atlas Track Screws

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by BobbyDing, Feb 2, 2006.

1. BobbyDing

BobbyDing New Member

Hey Folks,
    I'm another newbie, and I would like to pick the brains of you more experienced O scalers. I see Atlas sells track screws for their track. Can anybody tell me if this is for their 21st Century track? And if so, how long are the screws (I haven't seen them in person)?

Has anybody found other screws that would work instead of the Atlas screws? The track mount holes look to be #2 size. I need at least 1 1/2" length to reach thru the track, roadbed and foam. Ideally I suppose they should be black.

2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Welcome Bobby to the forum.:wave:

I don't have Atlas track, but I don't think that you will find a #2 screw over 1/2 long. It is way to small dia. for that length.

If you have your track on foam, you don't want to screw it down and into the wood. That would trasnfer the noise from the track thru the screw to the wood.

Why not us double faced tape, like for holding carpets. :thumb:

Good luck

3. BobbyDing

BobbyDing New Member

Thanks Tom,
    Your probably rite, which is why I'll be getting some double sided tape and warming up the hot glue gun this weekend. Never say never though. The day I finish laying the track I'll find them on ebay. No doubt! HA!

4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

HI Bobby,

If you do ever find them, they will be a special made item. That length for the dia. ratio is too long for standard manufacturing processes.

5. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

Our club found some nice screws to use with the Atlas O track. They are #4 x 3/4 black oxide "Phillips Pan Head Tapping Screws" (PN 12905) made by Au-ve-co Products of Cold Spring, KY. We get them at a local (well equipped) hardware store for $4.30 per 100. Since these are #4s, the hole in the tie needs to be drilled out a little.

Unfortunately they only sell via distributors.