Atlas Shay

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by billk, Oct 10, 2003.

1. billk

billk Active Member

They also have the same thing (the interactive photo) for their Mogul. Pretty neat!
  2. jsolie

jsolie Member

This isn't going to be any big deal, as I've converted just about all my locos over to MT couplers, but I'm just plain scratching my bald head at this one.

If the photo on Atlas' 360 degree displays are accurate, it appears that the Shay will have Accu-mate couplers and the 2-6-0 will have Rapido couplers.

3. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

From what I understand, Atlas purchased the tooling for the Mogul from Micro Ace. My guess is that they didn't want to go through the expense of changing things up to ship the model with Accumate couplers. Fine with me. If I get one, it's going to get an MT coupler, anyway! :)
  4. njpluta

njpluta New Member

According to Paul on the Atlas forum they do not own the tooling. That is why it will not have the accumates.

Read Pauls post here

5. jsolie

jsolie Member

Thanks for the link. Things move pretty fast at that other forum, and they tend to get buried pages and pages down.

I guess that 'splains it. :)

-- John
  6. pomperaugrr

pomperaugrr Member

I just saw the new Atlas Shay, in operation, at the Springfield MA train show. This is a beautiful locomotive. It has very smooth slow speed operation and the drive shaft movement is awesome! It does have accumates on the front and rear! I cannot wait for the release of the DCC equipped version. You have to see this locomotive up close to appreciate it. WOW:eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks a bunch for the input on the shay. I have two of the Sugar Pine ordered and can't wait to recieve them. Can't wait to see that drive shaft action to say the very least. Thanks again.

Ron :wave: :wave: :thumb:
  8. Darkelf

Darkelf New Member

Hey Gang,

I was at the Amherst show as well, and saw the shay - I am in love!! It was beautiful!! Slow running, moving drive shaft - totally awesome!! Can't wait for it to come out - only problem is, I need to decide if I want to go DCC or not...

In regard to the Mogul and couplers - according to the rep, they are trying to work out the accumate issue. As a backup, they have also been in talks with MicroTrains for an aftermarket solution... Hope that helps...

9. belg

belg Member

Guys what's the story on this thing is it out yet or is my LHS blowing smoke up you know where? I've been asking him about it for months and his story is a little different every time I go to the store.
  10. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

The Shay is supposed to be out sometime in August. The DDC ones were set back for some reason and a date has been prosponed. Ron
  11. BDC

BDC Member

Atlas has a webpage where they update the status of each announcement they make. They're pretty good about keeping it up to date too.

Go to and click on 'Order/Ship Dates' on the left hand side of the page.