Atlas Shay

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Wyomingite, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi all'

I been waiting a long time for my two Atlas Shays to arrive. Good news today a e-mail from Atlas saying the Sugar Pines and undecorated ones will arrive mid April.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

You will just love them when you get them. They are great running locos. Just wish they had sound.
  3. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I too am waiting for my undecorated Shay. Robin have you any idea how much of a grade your Shay will climb, say with three cars? Have a crazy idea for a switch back NTrak module and was wondering how much of a grade I can design into it.
  4. Matthyro

Bill. So far it pulls fine on a 2% grade hauling 4 boxcars. I haven't got any track laid that is more than that so far.
  5. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

how much are they?
  6. brokemoto

brokemoto New Member

My Atlas Shay has sound. You should hear the squeaking and squealing that it makes when I run it at walking speed or even when it is shuffling cars (also at walking speed).

No, it is not the squeaking and squealing that indicates a problem, it is just the warbling squeaking and squealing that I remember the stemwinders' making.
  7. Matthyro

Livesteam, Atlas lists them at $199.99 but dealers often discount that price so check with your LHS or internet train sites
  8. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Livesteam.

Robin is right on with the list price. Most dealers are selling them around 139.00

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  9. Waldbahner

Waldbahner Member

Good to hear this news. I'm also waiting for my undec. Shay.
    I can't wait to let them run on my test track.
  10. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

I've got a 5.5 percent grade that runs about 8' for these babies to climb. I'm hoping they will push a half dozen empty 25' log cars up it. I'll be a happy logger if it will.

11. Matthyro

They way this loco pulls and with its slow speed I am sure it will handle that 5.5 grade Wayne