Atlas Right Track Software

Hi All, I'm hot quite sure I'm posting this question in the right area or not, but here goes, has anyone been sucessful using ATLAS Right Track Software, I have spent several hours trying to incorporate Atlas's plan #12 and do some additional modifications,
(add on's) but can't seem to figure out how to make ends meet. Has anyone else been successfull in using this software?? Or is there a better one available, I've seen several out there, but I'm afraid that if I invested in them, I may be no better off. Any suggestions? AT&SF Duey :(

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I've been using RTS 5 since it came out, and I've had pretty good results. In fact, I used it to design my Copper Ridge Railway layout. But I'm working in N-scale, and the Atlas N-scale pieces seem to be easier to manipulate than their HO sections. I've never quite gotten the hang of using the HO-scale library--probably because I haven't had the benefit of working with the HO-scale sections in real life.

Keep in mind, too, that the layouts that Atlas publishes in the books sometimes fudge on the placement of the sections a little. They take advantage of the fact that you don't have to fit the pieces together exactly in order for the plan to work; but RTS is very rigid when fitting them together. Sometimes you have to use a few pieces of flex track in the RTS plan to make it look right. Another solution is to simply not connect all of the pieces--leave a few "hanging" so that they only appear connected.

Can you put up a picture of the layout that shows the sections used? Maybe I can take stab at it... :)

Something else I noticed trying to replicate Atlas layouts from the book into RTS is that RTS doesn't allow for cut track. Several of the Atlas layouts have track cut short to fit (90 degree crossings are typical). RTS doesn't do this, and doesn't have a fix for it. But it's a free program, so I usually get my money's worth out of it!;)

Right Track Soft Ware Problem

Hi Roryglasgo,
I'll attempt to attach a copy of the plan as is it is in the book, and would really appreciate any help you may be able to come up with. Thanx in advance...AT&SF Duey

Originally posted by roryglasgow
I've been using RTS 5 since it came out, and I've had pretty good results. In fact, I used it to design my Copper Ridge Railway layout. But I'm working in N-scale, and the Atlas N-scale pieces seem to be easier to manipulate than their HO sections. I've never quite gotten the hang of using the HO-scale library--probably because I haven't had the benefit of working with the HO-scale sections in real life.

Keep in mind, too, that the layouts that Atlas publishes in the books sometimes fudge on the placement of the sections a little. They take advantage of the fact that you don't have to fit the pieces together exactly in order for the plan to work; but RTS is very rigid when fitting them together. Sometimes you have to use a few pieces of flex track in the RTS plan to make it look right. Another solution is to simply not connect all of the pieces--leave a few "hanging" so that they only appear connected.

Can you put up a picture of the layout that shows the sections used? Maybe I can take stab at it... :)

Right Track Soft Ware Problem

Hi Roryglasgo,
I'll attempt to attach a copy of the plan as is it is in the book, and would really appreciate any help you may be able to come up with. Thanx in advance...AT&SF Duey

Nope, It won't allow me to attach, says it's the wrong type of file. I appreciate your offer to help regardless, thank you very much

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Duey, I used rts to duplicate my layout, since its basicly Atlas track plans just revised and joined together. It took a lot of playing around to get it to work right but eventualy I made it work. There are better software programs out there that do a terrific job, some in 3d, but they are not free if you know what I mean. It has been awhile since I used the program but I seem to remember a place you could click on that lets you set the alignment of the track. you just keep fudging the numbers till the track joins. As you can see I'm really sophisticated on all these computer terms. Just keep playing with it you will get it!!!!:eek:

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Duey,

To get to the feature that Andy mentioned, click on the View menu and select Properties. Click on the Tolerances tab. Play with the settings under "Connect tracks."

Pictures posted on this board must be in GIF, JPG or PNG format. If you have the Paint program that came with Windows, you might have the ability to save the file in JPG format. Open up the picture file (I'm assuming that it is in a format that Paint can understand). Click the File menu and select Save As... Look for the box labeled "Save as type." Click the arrow on the right side of the box and select "GIF" then click the Save button.

There is a limit to the size of the files that you can post. If the file is too big, try posting it in "JPEG File Interchange Format." If that doesn't work, then we'll cross that trestle later! :)

Right Track Software

Rory, Sorry It's Taken so long to reply to your advice on the Right Track Software, I've been away for a few days, and have fallen behind. I have tried you trick using the tolerances tab, and

Duey,

To get to the feature that Andy mentioned, click on the View menu and select Properties. Click on the Tolerances tab. Play with the settings under "Connect tracks."

Pictures posted on this board must be in GIF, JPG or PNG format. If you have the Paint program that came with Windows, you might have the ability to save the file in JPG format. Open up the picture file (I'm assuming that it is in a format that Paint can understand). Click the File menu and select Save As... Look for the box labeled "Save as type." Click the arrow on the right side of the box and select "GIF" then click the Save button.

There is a limit to the size of the files that you can post. If the file is too big, try posting it in "JPEG File Interchange Format." If that doesn't work, then we'll cross that trestle later! :)

Rory, Sorry It's Taken so long to reply to your advice on the Right Track Software, I've been away for a few days, and have fallen behind. I have tried you trick using the tolerances tab, and BINGO Just what was needed. Thanx Rory I Truly appreciate your concerned advise. AT&SF Duey