Atlas N VO-1000 Sample Stolen at Show

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by dbn160, Sep 9, 2002.

1. dbn160

dbn160 Member

Some low-life stole a production-sample NYC Atlas N
    VO-1000 switcher from their display layout at the
    Chicago Hobby Show Sunday Sept 8th.

See this thread on the Atlas N Forum

Hope they catch him and tie him up across the railroad tracks

Snidely Whiplash
    aka Don Brown
    Tucson AZ
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

You know, I hear these kind of stories from time to time, & it always infuriates the hell out of me!
    Don't these idiots realize that when a group of people share a common interest, then what's good for one is good for all?
    And if we rip each other off, & abuse each others' rights, all we're really going to acomplish is to drive another nail into the coffin of model railroading!
  3. WM-N-fan

WM-N-fan Member

It's amazing how often things like this happen. Last year in our local show (a very small one south of town), I saw two engines I liked (a custom painted WM GP-40-2) and a custom painted Maryland Midland Kitbashed SD-24. I usually see things I want, then look around every corner of the show for better deals and other deals, make decisions, then come back and buy a handful of the things I liked. Well..... I came back and the vendor with the WM and MM engines (A man I know personally from many shows that also painted the WM engine himself.) said that luckily no one had bought the 2 engines I wanted. I laid down my cash, as he went to get the engine. Then he began yelling, someone had stolen the two engines along with about a half-dozen more! I ended up buying a few other engines from him (life-likes), because I felt bad and that was all that was left. At the next show a few months later he painted a WM engine, but the MM was one of a kind.
  4. CarlFidy

CarlFidy Member

Everybody keep your eyes open...

Had a similar incident here in Tulsa several years back, but the idiot thief got himself caught. He broke in to one of the local hobby shops and took some one of a kind stuff. Then a couple months later tried to sell it at one of the local train shows!!! Someone recognized the items and alerted the authorities. Got himself arrested.

Moral of this story - everybody keep your eyes open for the item.

P.S. - if someone could post a pic (model or prototype) of the loco so everyone knows what their looking for.

Here is a picture of the VO-1000 from the ATLAS web.

Attached Files:

• vo-2.jpg
      File size:
      32.3 KB
  6. IMRL393

IMRL393 Member

At least it was only a SMALL theft!

OR maybe it just got knocked off the table and lost in the dust...

JUST KIDDING ... no flames from the nano-scalers!

The theft does show that there's scum in all hobbies, alas!

Posting the electron-microscope photo was a good idea, that way MRR folk can keep an eye (with a magnifying glass) out for it!

Despite my jesting, I do hope the #@*T$R! gets caught !!!

- George
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Amen Charlie!!! You reflected my thoughts exactly. Nothing PMO worse than a thief!!:mad: I don't have any sympathy for a thief at all. To H--- with 'em and that goes for the liberal do-gooders that try to rationalize such behavior too :eek: :mad: