ATLAS N scale MP15DC

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by Catt, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Catt

Catt Guest

Picked up my pair of these little critters early last week,but waited till last night to check them out.

First thing I noticed was all the fine detail including seperate coupler lift bars.The pair I bought are undecs so they came with all the details for both versions.

Motor wise they have 3 pole motors instead of the more popular 5 pole unit.I couldn't see where it made any difference.They ran smooth and fairly quiet on our TTRAK layout for quite sometime.

These are not the most powerful or strongest pulling locos I've owned,but they ain't the biggest either.It took both units to pull my 4 quad oretrain and they still had problems.Even with that,I'm still quite pleased with their overall performance as most of the time they will opnly be pulling 4 to 6 cars max and look good doing it.

These little fellas will be serving a industrial park simular to the one owned by Progressive Rail which I believe is in Minnisota (SP).

If anyone is interested I can post a scan and eventually photos of the completed units.
  2. shortliner

shortliner Member

Be interested to see a trackplan of your "Progressive Rail" industrial park version
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. ross31r

ross31r Member

we had one on one of our layouts at our exhibiton on saturday and it had problems hauling more than 3 superliners up a 2% grade and that was with full power, in contrast an Atlas 8-32BW hauled 12 cars up the same grade without hesitation with much less power.

They are good - but over priced!
  4. siderod

siderod Member

Superliners? Well...6 superliners is about the same as what, 10 regular boxcars (40'). So, there ya go. And lets not forget, the Dash-8 Atlas produced is a much larger locomtoive. The prototype Dash-8 would pull much more then an MP15 would, anyhow.

You said all the detail parts are included with the model? How easy or hard is it to change out the parts, like the stacks and sandboxes?

5. Catt

Catt Guest

I don't know Andrew.The only thing I've done with them is a test run. :D

Jack the track plan along with a very good article was published in Model Railroader several years ago.
  6. shortliner

shortliner Member

Ah -I thought that you had modified it!
    Thanks anyway
    Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Jack,I want to modify the MR trackplan which is in HO scale.Since I'm in N scale I'm hoping to put more of the prototype plan in use.I've got about 9 feet of space to use for it and I think I can use up about 27" (maybe 30") for the width.

Once I have the benchwork done I will draw up the track plan and post it on the Gauge as well as my own site.