Atlas locos w/Lenz dcc

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Hi all,

I recently got 3 locos (n-scale) in that are atlas brand with the pre-install Lenz LE062XF DCC Decoder.

For this who have some, what CV values are you using?

I'm using a Digitrax DCS100 command station with dt400 throttle on my layout.

I'm not sure if I'm programming them wrong, or if this is normal but I find the acceleration and overall speed really slow. I have some kato engines with some digitrax decorders I put in I and find I have to double the throttle number almost of triple it sometime on the atlas to get it match the kato.

ie: I have kato SD70 that 'cruises' at around notch 25 on the throttle, while on of the atlas I have to turn it to 50 almost or higher to get it to match speed.

Am I just missing cv values here or is this normal for these Lenz boards.

Current config for above example:

CV1: 5448 (Loco address)
CV2: 10 (start voltage: 1-15, I've tried various numbers here)
CV3: 1 (lowest = faster accel)
CV4: 1 (lowest - faster brake)
CV29: 38 (for 4 digit addressing)

Thanks a bunch.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
The newer Atlas locos use slow-speed motors, giving closer to scale speeds. Even without decoders, they will run significantly slower than the Katos. I have 3 Atlas Dash8-BWs, 2 with factory DCC, one pure DC, and they all run slower than my Kato SD70MACs and AC4400, without decoders. Once I put decoders into the SD70MACs, I used the Dash8s as my baseline for speed matching. Speed approximating is more like it, as I didn't want the speed characteristics to be identical.

The upshot is, there's nothing wrong with either your locos or decoders. I'll post the CVs I've used for the SD70MACs and the Dash8s tonite or this weekend.