Atlas HO 8-40C silver series problems

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

My wife just got back from a trip. She bought me a brand spanking new Atlas 8-40C...DC. The problem is ,I placed it on the test track, and before I could even power up.The motor acts like its locked up

It sounds like a buzzing noise,wheels won't move....nothing. Now if I could get the shell off I'm sure I can fix it. How in hades,do you take the friggin shell off ??????

Help guys,I'm in need.

Patrick

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Do the lights light up? Are you running DC or DCC on your layout? If DCC make sure that you are on the right setting to run an analog locomotive, or if you are running DC make sure that you do not have your power pack wired up on the AC side. I did that once when I got a new loco. I was so excited to get it that I got careless when hooking things up. Was very disappointed until I realized what I did wrong.

I am probably hot much help, but I hope that you figure out what is wrong.

Good luck!
Freelancer

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Found the problem and boy do I feel stupid. You see all this time I was trying to take the shell off.Trying to figure out the problem,swearing like chief,mad at the world.

The problem was ....I had my test power pack on AC !!!!!! Man do I feel stupid.Sheez,must have worked to hard today. I figured it out about the time I started to use another power pack...DUH.

Reason the wires where switched ,is I was testing some accessories a week ago and never switched them back.

Locomotive rides as smooth as an Atlas locomotive should.

Patrick

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Freelancer said:
Do the lights light up? Are you running DC or DCC on your layout? If DCC make sure that you are on the right setting to run an analog locomotive, or if you are running DC make sure that you do not have your power pack wired up on the AC side. I did that once when I got a new loco. I was so excited to get it that I got careless when hooking things up. Was very disappointed until I realized what I did wrong.

I am probably hot much help, but I hope that you figure out what is wrong.

Good luck!
Freelancer

Thanks freelance....well that makes two of us. I'm sure others have done the same thing.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Don't feel too bad,we all have our share of brain fartssign1.

I have an Atlas Gold Series UP 8-40C,very nice model!

Chris