CN1

Pictures? Pictures? Yes we do have lots of pictures
here at The-Gauge. Wich, BTW is a fantastic place
with fantastic people. Welcome aboard.
:thumb: :wave: :D ;) :)

2-8-8-4 Yellowstone :)

tr_dmir224.jpg

brakie

What does "off your rocker mean"? Well I am told I am a very good example of that..You see not only would I model 24/7 if I could (must eat, work and sleep ya know) but,when I go fishing it always at the Sandusky Bay right across from the old NYC Buffalo to Chicago main line.. :eek: :wave: I have more model railroad friends then I do none modelers(small idle chit chat I find boring-must talk trains :cool: ) I am the happiest doing what I love-model railroading then say bar hoping or hanging with folks that would rather talk about their problems or health.
So,I am told I am completely off my rocker.Of course I do not have a clue to what rocker they are referring to since I do not have a rocking chair. :wave:

hoyle

Hanging around folks that talk about problems is sometimes fun going dancing and getting woman perfume on you was fantastic but model railroading could top all of them.

shaygetz

CN1 said:
Pictures? Pictures? Yes we do have lots of pictures
here at The-Gauge. Wich, BTW is a fantastic place
with fantastic people. Welcome aboard.
:thumb: :wave: :D ;) :)

2-8-8-4 Mallet

"It's a Yellowstone...A YELLOWSTONE!!!", sobs Master Rivet Counter Shaygetz as he searches thru his toolbox for a flamethower and a diplomatic way to correct CN1's faux pas. :rolleyes: :cry: :p :eek: :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
shaygetz said:
"It's a Yellowstone...A YELLOWSTONE!!!", sobs Master Rivet Counter Shaygetz as he searches thru his toolbox for a flamethower and a diplomatic way to correct CN1's faux pas. :rolleyes: :cry: :p :eek: :D

Shaygetz.. it says Yellowstone! LOL (now it does) :D :D :D

Mikey "Whips out" his Whyte Classification Guide.. ( sounds of rustling pages) Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ok - We have a judgement! :D :D :D
According to the Whyte System:

Mallots:
0-6-6-0
2-6-6-2
2-6-6-4
2-8-8-2

Yellowstone:
2-8-8-4

CN1 - you were "One Axle" too short hehehehehehe

I got your back :D :D :D :D

btw - That's a gorgous picture of a beautiful engine & I like the DM&IR too :) :) :)

BDC

Boy, has anyone noticed that everytime the Atlas forum shuts down, people who haven't posted in six months start showing up again? ;)

shaygetz

Thanks, Mikey...the rash is starting to dissipate.

CN1, I have an issue of "Live Steam News" from '96 with an article on a beautiful one built in 1 1/2" scale over a 20 year period. That grey paint they were done in was just plain perty, moreso to me than the Espee's GS-4 Daylights or Milwaukee's Hiawathas. I just found out recently that my Cab-forward is considered a Yellowstone, just backerds.

Here's a postcard of one that used to be on public display. Sadly, it degraded to a point where it couldn't even be cosmetically restored and was scrapped. :cry: :cry:

Attachments

• yellowstone1.jpg
    yellowstone1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 133

shaygetz

And here's what's left of one that rear-ended a freight train...

Attachments

• yellowstone2 (2).jpg
    yellowstone2 (2).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 134

CN1

One axle too short? :curse:
Darn it where's my glasses :mad: :eek:
The following is NYC 2-6-6-2Mallet

nyc1933.jpg

That's incredible! Destroy a vintage steamer? :( :cry: Shame on them :curse:
BTW Whadaya think of this crane?.... :p

Thanks for the clarification, Jon, Shaygetz and Brakie. :thumb:

«Dictionary of American Idioms»? Hey, I want one of these! :D My «Español/Inglés, English/Spanish» Collins is very british-oriented, and is belly up against some southern expressions of ya! :rolleyes: :D

One of the funniest -and embarrasing- situations that I have seen is when traveling to South-America countries (and also when some native of South-American countries come to Spain), we realize that, in spite of speak all spanish, the same expression can have very different meaning depending in what side of the Atlantic you are.

In fact, a very innocent name in Spain can be a profanity in Mexico, and can have another completely meaning in Venezuela or Argentina. This is funny or a minor nuisance for us, but can be annoying and very puzzling for the people not fluent in spanish. :eek: :confused:

I suppose that you will have similar idiomatic issues between the british and the US speakers. ;)

Thanks, friends (and my apologies for being «off-topic») :eek:ops: :rolleyes:

cidchase

Hey CN1,
That picture is an excellent example! From what I have read, if'n y'all are
interested, the Mallet (pronounced mall-AY) may be any type of compound
articulated loco, not a particular wheel arrangement. The "compound"
refers to live steam being directed from the boiler to the fixed rear cylinders first;
the exhaust from the rear cylinders, still hot steam under pressure, is then
directed to the front cylinders, which are much larger in diameter, due to the
reduced pressure.

The front cylinders and drivers pivot at a point near the rear cylinders, thus
making the arrangement "articulated." CN1's photo clearly shows off the larger
front cylinders.

To confuse the issue, apparently some roads used "Mallet" indiscriminately
to identify some non-compound articulateds; this is technically incorrect.
For my own interest, I'm going to read a little more on the subject. :) :)

And Hi, BDC, good to see ya!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Hope you're all
in one piece, did you say you were a Training Instructor? Been busy, I'll bet!!

Hey Topo, "he's off his rocker" is similar to "he's not playing with a full deck",
or "he has bats in his belfry!" Also, "he has lost his marbles", or "his elevator
doesn't go all the way to the top floor!" I'm sure there are more, you've heard
most of them here, I think!! :D :D :D

Will_annand

I have a PDF of an 8 page article from Popular Science Dec. 1962 entitled "Those God-Almighty Mallets" rhe file is 1.25MB, I could email it to those who wanted it.

cidchase

I would be interested in reading that, Will. If my e-mail is blocked, you can get
the address off my V-card. I have all the options turned on except "invisible"
but I don't think it will let you e-mail me from the Profile page.

:confused: :confused: :confused: MODERATOR (Mikey) : ?????????? why not?
Or is it just me??? :D :D :D :D

shaygetz

CN1 said:
BTW Whadaya think of this crane?.... :p

Must be awful hard to run one o' them off the snoot of a lokey :D

Cool beans :thumb:

The information is much appreciated, Cid :thumb:

jon-monon

Will_annand said:
I have a PDF of an 8 page article from Popular Science Dec. 1962 entitled "Those God-Almighty Mallets" rhe file is 1.25MB, I could email it to those who wanted it.

Will, could you send a copy to jon(a)the-gauge.com? Please please please :D :D :D

CN1

Thanks for the in-depth info cid :thumb:

Could you give us the jist of the article Will? :confused:

Is it Mallet or Mallot? :confused: