Atlas Dash 8-40BW shell removal

myltlpny

OK. I'm completely frustrated here. Today I received an Atlas Dash 8-40bw in BNSF Heritage II paint. What a locomotive. The detail is incredible! I put it on my layout in DC mode and it's smooooth! I want to install a DCC decoder, but I can't seem to get the #$@% shell off. There are no instructions to remove the shell. I've already removed the couplers. How do I get the shell off? Help!

CRed

OK. I'm completely frustrated here. Today I received an Atlas Dash 8-40bw in BNSF Heritage II paint. What a locomotive. The detail is incredible! I put it on my layout in DC mode and it's smooooth! I want to install a DCC decoder, but I can't seem to get the #$@% shell off. There are no instructions to remove the shell. I've already removed the couplers. How do I get the shell off? Help!

I have the same model and you're right,incredible detail and I really like the BW's.I may run into the same problem when and if I decide I want to go with DCC so whomever ends up helping you can help me at the same time.

Chris

YmeBP

I have the same model and you're right,incredible detail and I really like the BW's.I may run into the same problem when and if I decide I want to go with DCC so whomever ends up helping you can help me at the same time.

Chris

If it is anything like my atlas dash's i pulled my hair out for about 2 days and then broke my shells :p. Combat actually put me on to how to get them open.

There are 4 loops on the skinny part of the shell that latch onto the lower section of the engine. You need to squeeze where those loops are and gently pull up on the shell and down on the platform part of the engine. Do not pull DOWN before you squeeze the shell, the loops will not disengage.

This is going to be a little painful for anyone not on broadband but if you load up this thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t116767/ and scroll ALLLLLL the way to the bottom you will see the loops i'm talking about and you will see how NOT to take a shell off an atlas dash hahahaha. :eek:

CRed

If it is anything like my atlas dash's i pulled my hair out for about 2 days and then broke my shells :p. Combat actually put me on to how to get them open.

There are 4 loops on the skinny part of the shell that latch onto the lower section of the engine. You need to squeeze where those loops are and gently pull up on the shell and down on the platform part of the engine. Do not pull DOWN before you squeeze the shell, the loops will not disengage.

This is going to be a little painful for anyone not on broadband but if you load up this thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t116767/ and scroll ALLLLLL the way to the bottom you will see the loops i'm talking about and you will see how NOT to take a shell off an atlas dash hahahaha. :eek:

Thanks!That should come in handy for both myltlpny and I,too bad it was at your expensewall1.

Say,hows that UP 8-40C treating you by the way?

Chris

myltlpny

Well, I couldn't just squeeze the shell to get it off, but by looking at the exploded diagram I could estimate where the loops holding it on were located. Using a small jeweler's screwdriver I was able to sneak it under the walkway and depress the tabs to get the shell off. I got the decoder installed and couldn't be more pleased with how smooth and quiet the loco runs. It's a beautifully detailed model that seems to run well, so I'm glad I snagged it. MB Klein's in Baltimore had them for $59.99.
Thanks for the help.

YmeBP

Thanks!That should come in handy for both myltlpny and I,too bad it was at your expensewall1.

Say,hows that UP 8-40C treating you by the way?

Chris

This engine and the kato look fantastic, run suuuuuper smooth and has completely spoiled me for the rest of the engines in my roundhouse hahhahaha. I just love the way they start running at like 3mph and keep crawling even over gaps etc and they make no unwanted noise.

Needless to say i'm hooked on atlas/kato.

myltlpny

This engine and the kato look fantastic, run suuuuuper smooth and has completely spoiled me for the rest of the engines in my roundhouse hahhahaha. I just love the way they start running at like 3mph and keep crawling even over gaps etc and they make no unwanted noise.

Needless to say i'm hooked on atlas/kato.
Yeah, I have to agree. This is my first Atlas loco. I have a bunch of proto 2000 locos, and have to admit that this atlas loco outshines them. I was impressed by the proto 2000, I'm floored by the Atlas.
On a similar note, I ended up pulling the chain out of the rear truck. Does anyone have a photo of where it connects?

CRed

Yeah, I have to agree. This is my first Atlas loco. I have a bunch of proto 2000 locos, and have to admit that this atlas loco outshines them. I was impressed by the proto 2000, I'm floored by the Atlas.
On a similar note, I ended up pulling the chain out of the rear truck. Does anyone have a photo of where it connects?

I'll try to take a photo of mine later tonight,the batteries are dead and need charging.I need to take a couple photos of my new Kato Mid-production BN SD40-2 anyways to show that off:thumb:.

Chris

CRed

Here you go...

tn_Trains018.jpg

This should help:thumb:.

Chris