Atlas code 83 turnouts

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Anyone else consider these junk? I can't tell you how many of these I had to replace, I've lost count!!!:mad: They seem to lose contact someplace, usually where the points pivit at, causing either the straight-thru or the switch side to go dead.

:curse: :curse: :curse:

My particular problem at the moment is, the straight away is dead, but as I slide the engine through the straight away power returns, after the engine clears the turnout completely??? :confused: :confused: :confused: HUH!!! That doesn't make sense to me? I've even put a multi-meter on the railheads to comfirm there is no voltage in that direction, I have it in the switch side, though!

Any thoughts or advice, please

Twilight:cry:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
They're probably "power routing" which means that the power is routed to the direction the turnouts are thrown. Check both routes with a meter and the points set to the side of the turnout your meter is on. It should show power when the points are set for the desired route and no power on the route not set.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I use the code 83s on my Jackson yard layout and not have the problems you are having..I do use the CI ground throws.There was a topic concerning this problem on the Atlas forum..You may want to visit that site and do a search..

Of course you could use a jumper wire and end that problem..The C83s are not power routed.Both routes are powered.