Atlas CNJ RSD-4/5 Locomotives

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by TomPM, Sep 13, 2005.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Yesterday when I got home from work I found a goodie package waiting for me. It contained my new Atlas Classic RSD-4/5 in CNJ green. I could not wait to try them out. I tested each loco on the track and they ran fine. I also mu’ed them with no problems. I am running straight DC. I have not tried them pulling any cars yet. That will be tonight or tomorrow. I will post pictures once I install the front and rear railings and a few other parts that need to be added.

I do have a few other observations about the locomotives. First is their weight. They seem to be light compared to my Atlas S-2s or my P1K RS-2s. Second thing is the quality of the details especially the doors, and grills. They seem very bulky. To me it is really noticeable when I place them near the S-2s or the RS-2s.

I do not know how prototypically correct they are and I really don’t care. As I posted elsewhere I have three simple rules:
    1. It works
    2. It is in a road name I want.
    3. It looks good.

These locomotives fit all three criteria for me. Yes I know I mentioned a few cosmetic things but to me they are no big deals that warrant tossing the locomotives or returning them. Once they are weathered no one but me will know. I plan on running these puppies until they fall apart.

To be continued.
  2. TomPM

Here are some photos of the new locomotives.

I still have to test them pulling cars. Maybe tonight?
  3. J&A_RR

J&A_RR Member

very nice, great addition.
  4. Raildog

Raildog Member

A shot of Dull-Cote and you'll be ready.

Neat stuff.
  5. Raistlin

Raistlin Member

They look awesome Tom!
  6. Conrail

Conrail Member

I can dig where you are comming from. I have a AHM NYC and a CN RS-2 that are light as a feathers and there really isn't anything about them that is all that special..heck they don't really run that great either but they are about 25 years old, look like new and for whatever reason (guess I like RS-2's) they are probably two of my favorite pieces. They are the only ones I keep in their original boxes stored away and only get out for special runnings. Now those units you have posted are some fine pieces of equipment if you ask me. besides...your scenery is so awsome nobody will notice any "not so perfect details". :thumb:
  7. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

nice. i want those so badly
  8. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice looking locos Tom.
    But...You peaked my interest.
    I checked Mr.Elwoods sight, and he didn't have any pics of CNJ RSD-4/5's.
    Thats not saying the CNJ had any..just no pics.
    But...You're like me...DON"T CARE. They look good, Run Good, Pull some tonnage...Its OK for me.(I can just see rivetcounters slapping their foreheads right now)
  9. TomPM

When I asked about the units I received the following answer:

10. TomPM

I finally had a chance to run the locos with some rolling stock.

I ran a 10 car double-headed train first. The locos had no problems handle the 10 cars. I then increased the train length to 20 cars, which is the longest train I run. Again there were no problems.

The only trouble I had was with the coupling between the second locomotive and a boxcar. They came uncoupled a few times. I am not sure what happened. The coupler on the boxcar is a Kadee #5 that has been checked against the couple gauge. The locomotives have Accumate couplers and after I was done for the evening I realized that I had not checked the coupler height so I need to do that quickly.

I’ll post pictures of the train at another time.
  11. TomPM

I checked the locomotives against the Kadee coupler gauage and found that all the couplers were at the correct height.

When I rechecked the track in the area of the uncoupling I found that the track was a little uneven and that is what most likely caused the uncoupling.