Atlas Broad Horizons ??

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by mojorizn, Aug 31, 2004.

1. mojorizn

mojorizn New Member

Hello -

New member at large. Seeking opinions on Broad Horizions R.R. ( Atlas N-106 )
    Have built the table, just needing to decide if this is the plan for me. Working on making the layout in 3rd Planit so I can play before I pay as it were.

Any sugestions or modifications about or to this plan would be appreciated. I have a nice big table awaiting the "perfect track plan" LOL.

Thanks again -

2. First, welcome to The Gauge! :wave: :wave:

Here is the Broad Horizon (N-15 or N 11015, depending on when you got your book) for those who don't know it. its a 4x10 made out of a 4x8 by making triangular corners:

the outer twice around is all 19" curves, the inner branch line on the left side is 9.75"

My suggestion: get rid of the reversing track with the 3 crossovers, then elevate and extend the branchline using the Woodland Scenics 2% riser, crossing the mainline with a bridge, then back down, moving it into the right hand side and meander it a little..
  3. AIGI

AIGI Member

Oh gawd, that looks like it's be a nightmare to operate with more than 1 train on it! So many places for an accident to happen. it'd need some serious modifications to run smoothly.
  4. brakie

brakie Active Member

Wecome to the forum.. :wave:

I agree ditch all 3 reversing loops.You will be better off.I also fully agree with AIGI it will take some serious modifications to run smoothly..

SS,There is a hidden reversing loop...I had to look twice before I notice it. :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Keeping the other loops are fine, Brakie just the one long reversing loop (which, btw, you kept half of in your modification).

In the book, the 'northern' mainline crossover is elevated with a bridge over the short double track, taking most of the way over to the right to come back down (a 1.25-ish grade, using 2 shimmed versions of the Atlas pier set)
  6. brakie

brakie Active Member

SS,Actually that is not a modication..I forgot to replace the track. :eek: :oops: :D
    If that was a modification then it would be quite different..Including the removal of all 3 reverse loops and a whole bunch of track.. :thumb:
    I have use reversing loops before and I did not care to have to flip a switch every time the train went around the layout so I removed it.But,hey! Thats just me and my perferance..:D :wave:
  7. mojorizn

mojorizn New Member

New Idea

Got a new inspiration. Borrowed from a post who borrowed from Atlas Track plans. How bout this...

Thanks for opinions.

Attached Files:

8. brakie

brakie Active Member

Dave,That is much better and cuts the reverse loop down to one which is no problem. :thumb: You have lots of room for scenery or adding more industries if you choose to at a later date. :thumb: Of course I am assuming that there is not all that space on the edge of the layout like the drawing shows?? If so you could add a second main line for a double track layout and perhaps enlarge your yard area and add a engine terminal. :D
  9. mojorizn

mojorizn New Member

Further Tweaked

Oh wise gurus of the rail. Gaze upon this layout and offer your enlightened wisdom.

Gettin closer to what I'm after. Has town, industry & manufacturing, farming, water feature ( small port? ), and comercial buldings/ passenger station.

Plan to include small loco service in the lower "yard area".

Ideas on industries that would gel and flow with this plan?

Thanks so much for your time -

Attached Files:

10. the picture looks a little small, but seems very similar to the previous post.

So far, I'd say its workable
  11. mojorizn

mojorizn New Member

updated pic

larger pic.

Attached Files:

12. look good

looks good to me
  13. brakie

brakie Active Member

Looks good..Nice design. :thumb:
  14. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Nice plan, Mojo. A grain elevator would look good along those tracks next to the water.