athern ho u28b truck with metal side frames needed badly?

matt fisher

hi everbody it's matt
i 'm building the southern pacific u50b ho witch is a piece of cake . i need an athern
u28b truck with metal side frames, i just need the power truck ,i dont want plastic does any know someone that might have one or know of any hobby shop that still might have ?
i will only pay$3.50 + $5.00 for shipping . please somebody help me . if you would like
to know how i made please email me they were made 20 years ago
my new email address u50c@pcjones.com

Russ Bellinis

I doubt if any hobby shop would still have the old Athearn metal side frame trucks in stock except for the truck for the dd40 since I don't think they ever did that one in plastic. Your best bet is to look for them at a swap meet.

Ernest Lafleur

Hi matt,
Is this wat you are looking for?(see photo)
when you say u50b or u28b, Sorry but i don't understand wat that means,
here in holland the trucks have other names.
This locomotive has trucks that are made of metal, this one of the old ones from yesteryear.

Regards Erne.

Attachments

• 100_1076.JPG
    100_1076.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 89

MilesWestern

Those are Flexicoil-C Trucks used on 2nd generation EMD's
Therefore, you cannot use that truck sideframe in a U28B because.....

A U28B in thier name indicates a two axle truck,
A U30C in their name indicates a three axle truck. (not unlike the one in the photo)
The DD40AX indicates a four axle truck for both two trucks.

Representative of the european UIC classification system, but on American diesels..hmm...? :confused: :rolleyes:

Another funny tidbit is that EMD uses the Whyte Classification System on their diesels, so you have your locomotive above, the SD40 you have there listed as a 0-6-6-0 in the builder's plate!

Ernest Lafleur

Hallow miles,
Thank for explaning that to me, I understand it all a bit better now.
Sorry that I couldn't be of any help.
Do you have a photo of what you arl looking for so I can keep an eye out over here in holland, you never know what I mite come across.
Have a nice day,
Erne:wave:

Ernest Lafleur

Hallow miles,
Do you have a photo of what you arl looking for so I can keep an eye out over here in holland, you never know what I mite come across.
Have a nice day,

Ernest Lafleur

Ernest Lafleur said:
Hallow miles,
Have a nice day,
sorry this is my mistake, this message came through twice.
Erne.

Ernest Lafleur

MilesWestern said:
Those are Flexicoil-C Trucks used on 2nd generation EMD's
Therefore, you cannot use that truck sideframe in a U28B because.....

A U28B in thier name indicates a two axle truck,
A U30C in their name indicates a three axle truck. (not unlike the one in the photo)
The DD40AX indicates a four axle truck for both two trucks.

Representative of the european UIC classification system, but on American diesels..hmm...? :confused: :rolleyes:

Another funny tidbit is that EMD uses the Whyte Classification System on their diesels, so you have your locomotive above, the SD40 you have there listed as a 0-6-6-0 in the builder's plate!
Hi Mileswestern,

Sorry but I got things a bit mixed up, When I saw your message, I thought that you were looking for thoes side frames, but now I understand tjhat you were only explaning what it all ment.
I got a message from Matt Fisher and I thought "Ivé done something wrong here".
Thanks once again for exolaning things to me.:eek:ops:
Erne.

MilesWestern

S'ok, your welcome. I think It should be something every diesel fan should know. If you have ANY diesel questions pretaining to their alpha-numeric idents, let me know! ;)