Athearn's Nscale stuff...

C

Catt

The only Athearn Nscale stuff I own are a whole slew of their model C Ford cabovers.I think they are awesome little trucks.

Athearn has announced both SD70's and 75's in Nscale.I will definately have several of the 70's :D

Athearn has also announced the model C's with 28' freight pups.I have four of them on order.I haven't bought any of the firetrucks yet, but have seen them upclose and personal and will own several if they model other versions.

I have no use/need for the F59 or the commutor cars Athearn offers so I have none and no comments about them. :D

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath on any of thier locomotives. From thier past engine in N scale, (F59) I would say they won't be very good. Maybe the rolling stock will be ok.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mike,Hopefully Athearn learn a lesion with the F59..While I do not need any of the SD70s I will still give them a look over and a test run..I have preorder 2 Atlas NS GP38s and ordered 2 NS B23-7s.I plan on modeling the NS and my C&HV on my industrial switching layout(1995) that I am ever so slowly building.My industrial switching layout is Free lance so both can fit equally well.. :D
Now if Athearn would do the SW1500 and CF7 in N then I would be highly interested.. :D

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
I was more than a little PO'ed that Athearn is doing the SD75I in N scale. I'm a CN (and CP) guy and CN has 173 SD75I's in service, so it's a model I need (ONR's 5 SD75I's come into Toronto often on CN too). This is a model I have been waiting for... waiting for Kato to do that is. Seeing as there is little competition between mfg's on locomotive models in N, Athearn may have locked up the SD75I and if they don't produce a model that is as good as Kato then I'll be more that a little resentful of Athearn. I won't reserve any because I need to hear some reviews and see one run before I consider buying... but I'd rather they were by Kato.

Mike

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,Don't know about Kato but I believe Athearn's biggest concern should be Atlas..After all Atlas been doing N scale since the 60s and each new product exceeds the last.. :thumb: I have nothing against Kato but IMHO it hard to compete with a old line company like Atlas that has years of experience and went through the growing pains and learn from their mistakes.Athearn is the new kid on the block and IMHO should design a drive similar to the Atlas drive,the Kato drive or even the Life Like drive that is found(say) in the GP20 if they wish to become a serious contender in the N scale market. :D Now with Athearn in control of MDC's production all of the ground work has already been done for a nice line of N scale cars.Now they should work on a improve drive base on todays running standards.. :D

Not wanting to start a fuss and IMHO Atlas has far more products in N scale then Kato..So again Atlas should worry Athearn to no end..I know if I was a upstart company in N scale Atlas would be my biggest concern followed by Kato since these two companies are well establish in the N scale market..Then there is Life Like to keep a eye on.No,I don't envy Athearn at all on their N scale adventure. :D I do wish them the best of luck.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike,You never know Kato or even Life Like might do the SD70s..If not then perhaps the Kato or Atlas drive could be use to repower the Athearn SD70s IF they are not good? Just a thought..Like you I am taking a wait and see on any up coming Athearn locomotives as I do all manufacturers except Atlas..Kato doesn't make any locomotives I can use for the time being and in that regard I don't bother to look at the Kato engines even as nice as they are. :D