Athearn SD70M

davidone

Jan 16, 2007
Anybody have the new Athearn SD70M's? I ordered 3 of the UP flag units w/flared rads. Although they look great in pics i was wondering about details, how the run, etc.

Thanks, Dave

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
I have two SD70Ms with the flared radiators in the NS. Also, I have a BNSF SD75 and I must say that when you first get them, they run a little loud. but once you break them in, they are very smooth. They are pretty strong pullers and they have really nice details (warning labels, sharp lettering, interior cab seats, trucks etc...). I have never had any electrical problems and I run the NS ones pretty often. They dont stall or anything. I deffinetly recomend them

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Maybe Walthers wanted to do something or wanted something from them they didnt agree with. Who knows, the thing I am happy about is the fact they still make a good engine. I think ALL of them are over priced but what are ya gonna do you know. :)

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
jbaakko said:
However, I don't see why they stopped using Walthers as a supplier...

Because Horizion is Walther's main competitor as a hobby distributor. I got a good guess Walthers only purchased Life-Like to make sure they still had products to distribute down the road.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I heard Walthers is trying to put a few places out of buisness. They have been doing some harsh price cutting on stuff to sell it. I think maybe they are just trying to move back stock. :)