Athearn RTR kit

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok, I need some info on the Athearn RTR locos. I got a kit today and the upper shell is in multiple pieces and I need to know how much of it I need to glue together. Who here has some of these RTR's and what point do I need to stop glueing the shell together? Does the long hood not get glued to the catwalk? Or does all of it get glued and the couple boxes hold the shell to the frame? The instructions doesn't list where to NOT glue, just basically a list of parts, as most athearns are.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ok..You lost me..Exactly what kit are you talking about? A standard Blue box or a undecorated RTR engine? Which engine?
You see all my RTR units all I had to do was inspect them and switch out the couplers to KD.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Yeah, the point of RTR is that you pull it out of the box and slap it on the rails. "RTR kit" is an oxymoron.

But as far as kits go, I'd say glue whatever you don't want to be a moving part ;)

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok, it's not an older bb, its an ready to roll sd50 undecorated, but after opening it, the upper shell is in pieces, the nose, cab, long hood, and walk boards are in pieces. What I'm asking is, if anyone has one of the rtr factory decorated sd50/60 series engines, if you take the couplers off, does the entire shell come off as 1 piece (excluding the wiring running to the lights)?
I know the kato's, just the long hood comes loose to do maintenance, dcc decoder work, etc..
If you took out the parts list that comes with it, and looked at what I got in the box, thats almost identical, all dissassembled, with exception of drivetrain and lighting. The fans, grills, blower housing, antenna, windows in cab, headlight assembly, brake assembly, horn, grabirons, plow, short hood assembly, long hood, walkway, exhaust, dynamic brake, were all diassassembled.
Now, my question is simple, does the long hood, nose assembly and cab get glued to the walkway so that it is 1 piece?

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok, I figured out that by removing the couplers the entire shell will come off, so I went ahead and glued the entire long hood, nose piece and cab onto the catwalk, and it works fine! :thumb:
Whew!:D
But, it really isn't a rtr as the box says it is, alot of piece work to do to it still.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thoroughbreed said:
Ok, I figured out that by removing the couplers the entire shell will come off, so I went ahead and glued the entire long hood, nose piece and cab onto the catwalk, and it works fine! :thumb:
Whew!:D
But, it really isn't a rtr as the box says it is, alot of piece work to do to it still.

All of Athearn's RTR and Genesis undecorated locomotives come in "kit" form..I suppose its for the ease of painting a 2 or 3 color locomotive.
Frankly,I prefer to repaint a RTR locomotive so I don't have to deal with a zillion iddy biddy pieces..sign1

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I would have taken it back. RTR meaning you shouldn't have to do anything to it except you own extra detailing. If it came in piece's then something isn't right. Just my $.02 worth.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think in some cases they have different cabs to fit different railroad prototypes. It seems to me if I remember correctly that Santa Fe/BNSF uses a different roof design on the wide cab than U.P. does, so it masy be that Athearn is making the extra parts available depending on which prototype you want to build wiht your undecorated locomotive. If you buy decorated, then it will have the correct cab, and there is no problem.