Athearn N scale Challenger DCC w/ sound

natankman

Mar 7, 2007
i got one too on monday, and when i put it on my test track it started shorting out and i can't figure out what to do. i emailed athearn and tried to reset the decoder. today it stopped making the shorting out noise.

Mrplow123

Jul 14, 2006
Hayward California
That is a very nice loco. And it is a very impresive performer. This past Sunday I went to the Great Train Expo, and the local N-track club was there. They were running one of these and it was pulling everything they could throw at it. When I saw it running, it was pulling 40+ cars, mostly with military tanks on them, and a track cleaning car. It was pulling with ease. And the sound was still very noticable, even in a crowded show setting. I don't own anything steam, just doesn't fit in my layout, but I am thinking of picking one up just because it is so amasing.

N scale equipment sure has come along way in just the last 7 years, just think back 20+ years ago. We were lucky to have a loco that would run reliably at anything less then full power.

PS. I say keep the paint away from it, keep it clean. Make it your local railraods show peice, they only pull it out for special ocasions.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
TrainNut,
Well I made a trip to the local train shop today. ( The Freight Yard) When I got there here was a guy running one of those new Challangers. I stood there drooling as he made it run on the test layout the store has. The sound was very very good, and he was just running on DC. This guy walked out with not one but two of these beasts. WOW!!
The bug has hit me to get one, but I will have to wait untill the board of directors (wife) gives me the OK. Man it is sure a good looking loco when you see it in person.

Mrplow 123,,
You need to let us get them dirty and weathered, as it will sure make the loco look better. IMOP The only time you ever saw a clean steamer, was when it just came out of the shops. If you want to keep them clean, no harm, no foul, everyone has there own ideas.
But this is sure a nice steamer, and the sound is great!

Now,if only the board OKs the deal. I will be in business.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Woodone,
I've mentioned this on here several times but, did you see the N scale coffee table against the back wall at The Freight Yard? That's mine. I took it up there to put on display over the holidays and they have not asked me to take it home yet... so there it sits.
You've definitely got more willpower than I do. For me, it was love at first sight. When I got there, they were running a Union Pacific Challenger. I told them, "Too bad that's not a Rio Grande or you'd be wrapping it up!" Guess what, they had the Rio Grande in the back room, so home with me it came. My wife understands that trains are my passion (next to architecture) and she understands when I just have to have something here and there as long as I don't stress the budget too badly. I do my best to spread things like this out over several months.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
TrainNut,
Oh yea, I saw that table layout. Nice set up. The guys there tried to sell it to me!
Well before I drop a large amount of $$, I need to talk to the CEO here, it is just a matter courtesy. It works well here.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
So I've read some reports that the tender wheels are too tall and will roll on the ties on Atlas code 55 Track (engine wheels are fine).

For those more experienced in this area, I'm assuming these wheels can just be replaced with some other low-profile wheelsets right?

I'm planning on using Atlas code 55 and it would be a bummer if I wouldn't get to run this engine on it properly in the future.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
One of our club members just brought his brand new one over tonight, first time out of the box. It is really nice. The sound was great, although it was a little loud, he said he is going to turn it down when he gets back to his layout. The remote control is REALLY COOL. Being able to control the engine with a remote control even though the layout is only DC track is a great idea.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
nolatron said:
So I've read some reports that the tender wheels are too tall and will roll on the ties on Atlas code 55 Track (engine wheels are fine).

For those more experienced in this area, I'm assuming these wheels can just be replaced with some other low-profile wheelsets right?
I can only repeat your comment in that I too have heard others having problems with code 55 track. Perhaps a brief phone call to Athearn could reveal some solutions to you code 55 users.

jesso said:
One of our club members just brought his brand new one over tonight, first time out of the box. It is really nice. The sound was great, although it was a little loud, he said he is going to turn it down when he gets back to his layout. The remote control is REALLY COOL. Being able to control the engine with a remote control even though the layout is only DC track is a great idea.
Jesso,
Have you ever posted pictures of your club layout or does the club have a web page? I would be interested to see them/it if you could point me in the right direction.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Our club is the Color Country Model Railroad Club. Its web site is http://www.colorcountrytrains.org/. In the photos section the 2005 show pictures are the best of the pictures of the modules. We would have new pictures this year, but my daughter took over 100 pictures of her friends and when she finally got around the taking pictures of the trains, the battery was dead and the card was full :) Although the only thing that has changed since then was the addition of my module.

I need to take my camera out to the garage and get some new pictures, the only problem with that is the guys take a lot of the little things off when the show is done so the little scenes are missing..