Athearn N scale Challenger DCC w/ sound

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I got an email today about a new Athearn, N scale Challenger, DCC w/ sound in stock at the hobby shop. I drove down there to have a look and ended up bringing it home with me! Have a looky see. Of course the whole picture would look better if I didn't have that big blue strip of foam running all across the foreground!

DCP_5136_low_res.jpg

DCP_5138_low_res.jpg

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
It's plenty loud enough at home. On a club layout might be a different story as it gets pretty noisy out there. Sorry I don't have the ability to make videos.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
I asked that too and was told 9 3/4". I have yet to look through the manual to verify that. the tightest I have run it around so far is 12" and it handles it with ease.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Well, I've been playing with this thing for a day and a half now and I love it!!!! Yes, it's obviously my first engine with sound. My wife is getting a real kick out of me 'cause everytime she sees me playing with it, she says I've got this silly grin that won't go away like a little kid with a new toy! You bet'cha! It came with a wireless remote that makes it so easy to play with (even on DC) that my 4 1/2 year old has already mastered it. His favorite part is bringing it to a complete stop at the station and having the conductor announce, "ALL ABOARD!!!!" and then off again for another lap. Tomorrow, I've been invited out to the club (the one I used to be a member of) to see how many cars it will pull.

woodone

TrainNut,
That is a very nice looking loco.sign1 Of course it needs to get dirty before it looks like it is making any money for the RR.
Let us know how well it pulls, OK.
BTW is the sould system all on board? No other things to by to make it work?
Let me know I might have to have one too.:thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Thank you for the compliement... yes, Athearn did a great job on this one. I don't know about gettin' it dirty just yet... I have a hard time doing that. I'm one of those weirdos that likes everything nice and clean. Someday maybe. I took it out to the club yesterday and was quite impressed. Even with all the noise and chaos, you could still hear it clearly. I did discover that it has 4 programmable sound levels. I like the loudest one though I may tone it down a little at home. Everything is self contained within the tender - nothing extra to buy. It comes with a little remote to operate it on DC but even that comes in the box. When I come to see Don I'll bring it buy (day still unknown) or I will bring it out to the swap meet and we can run it then. I had it pulling 30+ cars up and down 2 & 3% grades with no problem.

woodone

TranNut.
Hay That sounds great! 30 Cars, WOW :thumb: Sounld like it has a lot of pulling power.
The dirt willnot hert the sound or the pulling power , it just makes it look like it been a working.
BTW I sent you an E mail--my server said it was not delivered? contact me or send PM.
Want to learn about DCC.

Hi guys - it sure looks great. If you want to see a video with sound, go the website of nscale supply (www.nscalesupply.com) and follow the link on the main page to 4 videos of the loco on Mike Danemann's snowy layout (was in last time's N SCale Railraoding magazine). Broadbend best for this, but the smaller videos won't take too long on dial up, I'd guess.
Once you click on the first link, scroll down to the photo of the layout and click on that (for some reason it doesn't tell you this - trial and error got me to the right page in the end!)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
woodone said:
BTW I sent you an E mail--my server said it was not delivered?
Sorry woodone, good catch. No one has ever sent me an email via the Gauge and the email address I had on my profile is from about 3 years ago. Problem fixed. I'm no expert on DCC but I have certainly come to learn a lot about it in the last couple of years. I will promise to answer any questons I can.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
woodone said:
The dirt will not hurt the sound or the pulling power , it just makes it look like it been a working.
It sure sounds to me like your volunteering to weather my new Challenger!

nolatron

I saw the pictures and videos of this today at nscale's website. I've got this on my "must buy" list now :)

of course I'm kicking myself for selling them UP streamliner cars 2 years ago before I moved to TX. Doh!

woodone

TrainNut said:
It sure sounds to me like your volunteering to weather my new Challenger!
Well I can sure get it dirty, when I get finished it will look like it has been bringing in some revenue. Can't pay for the new loco if it just settting idle.
I will post a photo of my WP Mikado unit if I ever figure out this new program I got with the new computer. Boy this is getting old, takes over 30 minutes to get tech support. Still have not got it working, can't resize photo to post on The Gauge.:curse:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
nolatron said:
I saw the pictures and videos of this today at nscale's website. I've got this on my "must buy" list now :)

of course I'm kicking myself for selling them UP streamliner cars 2 years ago before I moved to TX. Doh!
If you truly are interested in one and you happen to find one, jump on it. Word at the local hobby shop is that these are in high demand with low supply. They told me this AFTER I bought mine, not as a pressure tactic before, so I trust the information.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
woodone said:
Well I can sure get it dirty, when I get finished it will look like it has been bringing in some revenue. Can't pay for the new loco if it just settting idle.
I will post a photo of my WP Mikado unit if I ever figure out this new program I got with the new computer. Boy this is getting old, takes over 30 minutes to get tech support. Still have not got it working, can't resize photo to post on The Gauge.:curse:
I can provide a temporary solution if you like... email me the pictures. I will resize them & post them if you like or I can email them back to you.

nolatron

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm debating whether or not to splurge some of my "benchwork funds" into this locomotive just to nab one before they are practically gone.

Decisions, decisions.... wall1

nolatron

Eep! I did it! I grabbed one from Tony's Trains because I'm a sucka like that!

I forgot I had some funds in paypal from selling an Amtrak HO set. 300.01 total less 161.33, leaves me out of pocket $138.68. Not to shabby in the end. I don't feel so bad about it now. sign1

woodone

TranNut,
Just might take you up on that. I just want to be able to post some photos. Not ready to give up just yet.
That Challanger sure looks clean, better get it to work soon!
I know it takes some courage to paint dirt and grime on a new loco.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
nolatron said:
Eep! I did it! I grabbed one from Tony's Trains because I'm a sucka like that!sign1
Ha haaaa!! Congratulations! You'll love it! Post of a picture of it on your layout when you finally get it.