Athearn Mikado derailments

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by cidchase, Oct 8, 2002.

1. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey all,

A very interesting solution posted on Atlas:

My new Mike stopped derailing when I moved the drawbar attachment back to the close hole, but I had no idea why, I still thought it was the track. I think I'll take this advice!! Anyone else had this problem (opportunity)?? :D
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Thanks for the link. If you can respond on that forum, there was a comment on "surging", and a clicking sound. I had that on the chassis I used for the On30 2-8-2. It finally showed up. The gear on the main driver was cracked. It let go alltogether, and had to be replaced. I Emailed Athearn, and got the new part in the mail.
    The removal of the heat shrink will help the "derailing" problem. and trying to balance the loco weight will help. As built, the Athearn Mike balances on the # 3 driver. It would run better, and pull better if the balance point was closer to the #2 driver.
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Pete, and Thanks
    I infer from what you say that the drivers are numbered from front to back, which makes sense, but just checkin'. :D
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

OOPS, there I go with the "common Knowledge syndrom" again. Yes, the drivers are numbered from front to rear.(within the engine. A mallet would have two #1 drivers, a triplex would have three)