Athearn Locos and Floquil Paint

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Modellbahner, May 19, 2005.

1. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm going crazy. I try to wheather some of my Athearn engins but I found out, that the paint that Athearn is using is not compatible with the Floquil solvent based paints. The color will be solved or you can see the color is coming off. Every other locos or cars of other manufactures withstands the floquil color but not the Athearn. What can I do, except changing the color type;-)

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Try the water based paint called Scale-Coat.
    It can be airbrushed on as well as just brushed. And being a water base paint, won't ruin the factory paint job. I use this on all my locos, including my Athearns.
    A plus...Cleans up with water.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Did you mean Poly Scale? The only Scale Coat I've heard of is Scale Coat Wash Away that is a paint remover designed to take the paint off of decorated models for custom painting.
  4. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

5. Russ Bellinis

Ok, I learned something new today, cool!
  6. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

folquil barrier might help :)
  7. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hhm, I assume I have to change the color type for my Athearn material.

What will hapen if I use a flat finish like Testors dull coat? Will this also remove the paint from the Athearn engins? I hope not because I have never tried it before.
    A barrier will be ever too thick just for weathering the locos.

8. Russ Bellinis

Dullcoat is also a laquer based paint, so it might remove the paint. I believe Floquil makes a clear flat finish in their Poly Scale line, and Scale Coat 2 may also offer a water based flat finish. Also craft store "matte medium" is a flat water based acrylic clear coat.
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

My mistake. You're right Russ...Its Polly-Scale.
    Man am I embarrased.