Athearn instruction sheet

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I recently purchased a used Athearn GP-30 diesel from eBay and wondered if these vintage loco's ever came with an instruction sheet or parts sheet. I asked the person I bought it from on eBay but he wasn't sure. I have included a picture of my locomotive for all to see. If anyone has an instruction/part sheet for this Athearn loco, I'd be willing to buy it from them or would even like a scanned PDF document.

Thanks,
Matt

pictureID187.jpg

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
urbancowboy said:
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I recently purchased a used Athearn GP-30 diesel from eBay and wondered if these vintage loco's ever came with an instruction sheet or parts sheet. I asked the person I bought it from on eBay but he wasn't sure. I have included a picture of my locomotive for all to see. If anyone has an instruction/part sheet for this Athearn loco, I'd be willing to buy it from them or would even like a scanned PDF document.

Thanks,
Matt

Yes,this unit came with a instruction sheet..Not to worry..If you have any experience working Athearn locomotives you shouldn't have any problems due to the fact this old GP30 shares the same drive design that is still being use..However,That GP30 should have the wide JET 500 or 600 motor that Athearn used for some time and hence the wide bodies..

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
Thanks Brakie.

I have some pictures of the motor in the next couple of posts for people to view. It sure is amazing to see how Loco's were built back then. It looks as though the motor is hard wired as opposed to using the connector clips in todays Athearn locos.

Thanks for also mentioning the type of motor used in this loco, the "wide JET 500 or 600". I would never have known thats what it was called. It would still be nice to get the original instruction sheet for this loco. I have e-mailed Athearn to ask them if they have a copy I could buy. I'm also gonna email the Kalmbach Memorial Library and see if they can supply this instruction sheet to me.

Thanks again for the information!

DSC00910(640x480).JPG

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi Larry,
This is the 1961 version.
In 1964 Athearn changed the design. The motor and light bracket were changed. The motor was the one you referred to and was screw mounted instead of the pad mount.
I am not certain but I think there was another version that had the 1965 version trucks and the pad mounted motor (same chassis used on the GP35).

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thanks Ray..I recall the GP30 drive being same as the GP35..I sure don't recall that set up but,then in '61 I was more into the Hobbytown RS3 and the Hobbytown drive for the Athearn GP7.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I know everything about the recent Athearns from inside out and how to hard wire them so there is good connection rather than that cheap metal plate strip across the motor to the trucks. But don't get me to lying about that one. I've never seen an Athearn with a motor like that. That make's me wonder if those older versions have the set point drilling holes on the inside of the body for adding details.

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
This is so cool, I'm getting a history lesson here. Thanks Ray for the scanned PDF, you have no idea how greatful I am to have this document. I appreciate everyones help and background information regarding my Athearn GP-30 loco.

Thanks again!
Matt

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
No problem Matt, glad to help.
I find early HO history interesting and enjoy finding and restoring these early relics.
Parts for that version may be a bit hard to come by, but from what I can see from the photos of your GP30, it hasn't been run much and should run well.

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
It runs pretty good. When it first arrived in the mail I disassmebled the trucks and gave it a good cleaning. I removed all build up of dirt and lint from the gears and then gave it a good oiling using Wahl Clipper oil. The oil works great! I have to set the throttle to about 55% in order to get the loco to move slowly. My other Athearn Genesis engines start moving at only 15% throttle.

Matt

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know if this bit of history was included in the info that Ray sent you, but you have a rare model. Athearn came out with the Gp30 and built it for a short time when the mold was dropped and broke. The top was the part that was damaged and my understanding is that the mold was repaired by converting the model to the Gp35.

urbancowboy

May 13, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.traintracker.ca
Hi Russ,

I didn't know that Athearn had changed to producing GP-35's because of the mold. It's things like this that are very intriguing. I'm interested to know how you know this and if you have any other interesting facts about the Athearn company. I'm a big fan of Athearn trains and am interested in the history of the company and it's products. A year ago I purchased the "Standard Guide to Athearn Model Trains". Since then I use the guide to help me find the most collectable Athearn trains. I would have to say that this GP-30 is now my favorite rare Athearn train. I also have a CN boxcar with the CN herald on the opposite side and a Milwaukee locomotive with a different road number on each side. I'm thinking I should take the information I learned in this post and create a website with all of the information about the GP-30. Thanks Russ!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
I don't know if this bit of history was included in the info that Ray sent you, but you have a rare model. Athearn came out with the Gp30 and built it for a short time when the mold was dropped and broke. The top was the part that was damaged and my understanding is that the mold was repaired by converting the model to the Gp35.

Russ,I think that is more of a urban legion then fact since the GP35 was far superior in looks and details...The GP30 sure enough don't look like a GP35 has far as cab, doors and so forth..I am sure the GP35 was all new tooling.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
brakie said:
Russ,I think that is more of a urban legion then fact since the GP35 was far superior in looks and details...The GP30 sure enough don't look like a GP35 has far as cab, doors and so forth..I am sure the GP35 was all new tooling.

That may be, I was told that story by a friend who has been an active model railroader since the 60's. He was modeling at the time the Athearn Gp30 first came out, and bought one brand new. I took his word for it. It may be that Athearn came out with the Gp35 independent of the Gp30 and just stopped making the gp30 when the mold broke.