At long last, something...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
At long last, something has rolled out of the doors of the Marlpost Shops - i.e. my train room. ;)

For those of you that don't know, the past year or so everything was on hold with a move, and then renovations gone bad :)curse: contractor). During this time, my workshop/trainroom was the storing/staging/hold-all area. Thanks to my lovely wife, a portion of it is usable again, and here is the first project out -

It's a not-entirely-faithful model of an experimental Canadian National Railway refridgerator car. In 1933, two cars were painted with aluminum paint to determine if colour made it easier to keep the contents cold. Presumably, it made no difference, so the cars were painted back to the original (i.e. boxcar red) scheme in 1935.

This model is a four-hatch reefer with metal ends from Athearn (I think - it was an "undec" that had been sitting on the shelf for a while ;)). I have no idea if it is accurate - the CNR one may have been one of their "famous" 8-hatch models. I know the lettering is correct - it's dry transfers from CDS lettering. The "aluminum" paint is actually Dollarama silver, drybrushed over a grey primer coat. The car is relatively clean, since it had all new paint (body, roof, underframe, trucks) in 1933, and so I have modelled it as if it has just rolled out.

Andrew

Attachments

• 10150046.JPG
    10150046.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 10150048.JPG
    10150048.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 10150049.JPG
    10150049.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 11

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Woohoo Andrew! It is good to see you back in action. Hope to see many more projects from you in the next several months.

Hey, does that have "CANADIAN" on one side and CANADIEN" on the other?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks again guys...

It is great to get back to some projects - next up is a resin kit of a Point St Charles CN van (caboose). Too modern for my era, but being built for someone else (long, long overdue).

Gary - no, this is from the era when Canada was British all the way... no official bilingualism, and no metric system either. ;) :D

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Gary - no, this is from the era when Canada was British all the way... no official bilingualism, and no metric system either. ;) :D

Some of us refer fondly to this as the good old days. ;):-D

Looks good Andrew. :thumb: As best I can tell, the two prototype cars were all wood, although they may have had metal sheathed roofs. The eight hatch overhead bunker cars didn't arrive until 1939.

Wayne