associated t3 need help

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by ericmcgehee, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

i just traded for an old t3, and it has the old mechanical speed control in it, and a 17 turn motor. when i put the battery in and ran it for maybee 3 or 4 min. the resistors got so hot, they started melting plastic, and melted throught two zip ties. i figured the motor was too big for the speed control, and was wondering what the cheepest esc was that would handle that motor.Or if that was in fact tthe problem.
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

Put the mechanical speed control in the trash, Novak makes great, cheap ESCs. I think all of them will handle the 17 turn. The resistors on the MSC do get hot, they need to be in a metal bracket bolted to the chassis, but are very inefficient.
  3. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

yeh i know it is trash. i have another problem. after i turn the car off,it was still running, even with the radio, and car turned off. any thoughts? i figured the crappy speed control was to blame.
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

Sounds like the switch is shorted.
  5. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

where would i get a spec sheet of how to wire the old msc until i buy a new one?
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Just cut one of the wires to the switch and see if that solves your problem, if it does, then put a new switch on there. If it doesn't, then get a ESC because the MSC isn't worth fixing.
  7. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

if you put an 8 cell in to replace the 7 cell, will you get more speed
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

Yes. More amperage too, more heat. Make sure you have good connectors, or you'll have a meltdown.
  9. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

well my switch was ok, but the reciever wasnt getting any power. i just wired the reciever direct. that wont screw anything up will it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.