Asking for a track plan (and something else)

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
I was reading the new posts at the Gorre & Daphetid Yahoo Group and I became more curious about this particular subject, which can be best expressed in this question:

Could anyone post the track plan for the 3rd Gorre & Daphetid layout? (and maybe a few pictures?)

I know there's a book out there, but... $130 seems a bit steep.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
the only trackplan I've seen on teh web is this one, (the original) from Carl Arendt's micro layout page:

gorre.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Charles,
Even though the model railroad section is slim, I once found the book about Allen's G&D in my local library. Worth a look in yours! Good luck! Welcome aboard, by the way!
Ralph

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Tried the library ages ago... no luck. Really, I've seen very few photos of the GD line, and it is VERY hard to put the pieces together.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
CharlesH. said:
Tried the library ages ago... no luck. Really, I've seen very few photos of the GD line, and it is VERY hard to put the pieces together.
I don't know about libraries in your area, but when I was taking a history class at a local junior college, I noticed that James Fennimore Cooper had written a history of the U. S. Navy. The book was published in the 1850's if my memory is correct. I asked my local library to see if they could find a copy for me to read. In California, the local library can send inquiries to all of the libraries in the state. I forgot all about it, and a few months later I received a notice that they had the book in for me. They had borrowed an original edtion from the library in Sacramento, and they let me check it out!
You might ask your local library to do a search for the book, and see if it is available at any library in your state, and if it could be sent to your local library for you to read.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Charles:
I have the GD book in my collection. I'll see if I can scan the plans and e-mail it to you. (will pm you for an address.)
Is the layout you want the final G&D? Screwey's plan is the original section, containing Gorre and Daphetid, that was incorporated in all the following layouts. The curves were so tight that it was eventaully stub-ended and probably not operated much.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
The final plan is really complicated! I have a copy of Linn Westcott's book - it is really great.

David; the book says that there was a local that went from Gorre up the switchback to Daphetid, servicing the Butler mine on the way. It was usually Shay powered and used the switcher from Gorre to power it. Some of the local passenger trains also had a combine that was pulled from the train at Gorre and taken up to Daphetid. It was one of John Allens favourite jobs on the layout (along with the Gorre peddler)

Neil

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
*ahem* I still don't have the trackplan...
(I do plan to get the book, but in the mean time, I'd like to have this just to have some reference.)