Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by mark, Jul 6, 2004.

1. mark

mark Member

hi all

ho can i cut the parts from the paper in prfect way?
  2. barry

barry Active Member

You need very few tools scissors, craft knife, steel rule, belt hole punch is useful, circle cutter is better and any other bits and pieces you find useful but really it's just practice.

For short cutting I use a knife above that I have to use scissors because I can't hold the knife properly find what suits you best.

all the best

3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Barry is right.

find a combination what you like.

I use a knife and ruler, but there are some people who use scissors.

experiment and discover it for yourself
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Just to add my two cents worth, in cutting circles I used either a modeling knife, holding the piece with tweezers, and trim off small bits until I get to the line, or, if it is a larger disc, one that I can comfortably hold in my hands, I use a neat little pair of scissors used for cutting finger and toe nails that has a slight curve to the blades.

For straight lines longer than, say, an inch, I always use a ruler with the modeling knife because I don't trust my eyes and hand coordination yet to get a straight cut with scissors, but there are many talented folk out there that are very good using just scissors; I'm not one of them. :)
  5. mark

mark Member

can u please add me some pic of the tools and the way u do it?
  6. bholderman

bholderman Member

The black line

Im new to paper modeling building, so my question is fairly basic. Most of the models Ive done so far have been the simple ones from NASA normally available at specific mission sites.

Currently, my stuff looks like crap. SO one question to begin: The graphica are normally edged with a black line simlar to the way a comic is drawn. In cutting should you cut the outside of the line leaving it with the rest of graphic or should uou remove it, leaving only the true graphic?

7. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Honestly, it depends on who designed the kit... Sometimes you need to print out two copies of the kit and figure out through test builds.

8. Ron

Ron Member

For basic tools Mark, check out the articles section. The articles are far from complete but will give anyone a good starting point. Pictures are included. I use 2 or 3 different blades when cutting stuff out. If circles are large enough, the Olfa circle cutter works well enough. A set of hollow punches bought at a dollar store and sharpened work well for most of the smaller stuff. Jim's method works well for those sizes that can't be done any other way, especially the very small. For cutting small, tight curves, the Olfa hobby blade works well as it's easy to turn as you are cutting. This blade also works very well for small bits of thicker stock when cutting formers. I use the standard
    #11 blade for longer sweeping cuts as I find the visibility much better than the others. The #11 with a sharp tip is great for tiny incisions as well. Cutting down the center of the line usually works for me but as Ryan mentioned, try it out first.