Artwork on a computer

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Does anyone else use a computer for drawing with, I did this drawing around 6 years ago on a program called Freehand5, I now have Freehand10 which I use to draw all my track-plans with.
Shamus

m4.jpg

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I have been playing around with Corel Draw and the idea of making card stock mockups of the buildings for my layout.

Here is a sample:

You can't really see the full effect.
Anyone with CorelDraw wishing the cdr file, please email me.

Attachments

• station_01.jpg
    station_01.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 188

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Guys I'm truly impressed with the work you've done here. Shamus how does the program you mentioned work does it have an actual stylus to draw with? My skills on the computer are very limited so I'll watch experts like you for now. Pat

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have used Corel XARA to work on my background photos.
I found MS paint handy for drawing windows and doors for my structures and have used it for a trackplan.
I also recently got Corel Painter 8 and hope to do some railroad drawings with it when I get to know it. I also have Carrara 3 which is a 3D drawing program and have started to create a steam loco with it. It has to be built up piece by peice and so far all I have got done is a wheel with spokes. Wow what a learning curve on this one. I also have Curious Labs Poser 5 a 3D character creater and hope to create the fireman and engineer as well as the hogger for the loco.
My real difficulty is coming up with the time to learn all this stuff and build a layout too.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I haven't done any artwork on the computer, I don't have the patient or skills for that, but I do use my computer to make drawings of buildings I want to scratch build.

This is one example of Santa Susana depot in Simi Valley I scratch build in N scale last year.
I have purchased Serif PagePlus with the intention to try and create some signs, but I haven't been able to design anything yet that I like.

aax.jpg

aay.jpg

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
computer art

This took about 2 hours on my computer, 99% of which was learning to crop. I THINK I could get a 4-side view if anyone feels like they are capable of bashing it. Heh heh heh

Lynn

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 145

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Some excellent artwork by all, Jesper, your scratchbuilt structure is brilliant indeed.

Belg, Freehand10 is very like a CAD program and a freehand drawing program as well, it allows a stylus to be used as a pen for freehand work. It does everything except make TEA:thumb:

Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I draw worst than I spell, and trying it on a computer only magnifies hte situation and allows me to turn out garbage at a much higher rate!

Well, I use xfig to draw some CAD type drawin's like I did for my loggin' disconnects:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7160&perpage=5&pagenumber=6

I've also turned photo's into walls. These bricks began as 4 or 5 photo's of old brick used on a neighbors garage. Cut, psted randomly, sized and printed out on cardstock:

abv.jpg

I used the same technique to turn the front siding in this photo:

aam.jpg

into sidng for the model:

aaj.jpg

And using a similar technique, I scanned the models own siding:

aak.jpg

Then I converted the color (RBG) image to monnochrome, then back to RGB, resulting in a black and white image that was capable of color. Then I skewed the color balance unitl I had what I thought was representative of dirty, old, unpainted, interior wood:

aal.jpg

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I only started with the real construction of Marian City on my layout.
First this is my 'artwork' of three houses in the corner of the layout - drawn on 3rd PlanIt and then rendered in 3d

Ron

Attachments

• marian1.jpg
    marian1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51